Unlocont.dll error at startup - reposted after following 8-step instructions

Status
Not open for further replies.

nil6

Hi everyone,

My computer (Windows 7, 64-bit OS), gives the following message at startup.

There was a problem starting
C:\users\username\AppData\Local\Temp\unlocont.dll

When I click OK, the message goes away and the computer starts up without other problems.

I followed the 8-step instructions.
I have an updated McAfee protection and scanning found no problems.
Did TFC and rebooted the computer.
Ran Malwarebyte's Anti-Malware, and the log is pasted below.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.46
www.malwarebytes.org

Database version: 4294

Windows 6.1.7600
Internet Explorer 8.0.7600.16385

7/8/2010 6:07:45 PM
mbam-log-2010-07-08 (18-07-45).txt

Scan type: Quick scan
Objects scanned: 130748
Time elapsed: 4 minute(s), 55 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0
Memory Modules Infected: 0
Registry Keys Infected: 0
Registry Values Infected: 0
Registry Data Items Infected: 0
Folders Infected: 0
Files Infected: 0

Memory Processes Infected:
(No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Infected:

Registry Keys Infected:

Registry Values Infected:

Registry Data Items Infected:

Folders Infected:

Files Infected:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Skipped Step 4: GMER since my OS is 64-bit

Ran DDS and the logs are attached.

Can someone please help me to solve this problem.

Many thanks in advance.

Attachments

• DDS.txt
    32.1 KB · Views: 2
  • Attach.txt
    12.7 KB · Views: 1
For the record, the person who sent you to this forum should have allowed members in the Windows OS/BSOD forum to assist you first.

The file you are concerned about is displayed as:
uRun: [DpiScopy] rundll32 "c:\users\nilanthi\appdata\local\temp\unlocont.dll",DllEntryPoint[/v]

DpiScopy was the only hit in a search is in a Google book in Latin.
Using DllEnreiPoint got a few more but no description

Using the msconfig utility> Selective Startup> Strartup tab> Look for any part of this string> highlight> Remove> Apply> Okay
The first time you reboot after making any changes using msconfig, you will get a nag message that you can be ignored close after checking 'don't show this message again.' Stay in Selective Startup.

You're running both Azureus nad Vuze> File sharing programs. I would encourage you to remove them. IF you choose not to do so, please do not use them while I am helping clean the system.

I note that you are running multiple antivirus programs> Avira and McAfee Please decide which you want to keep and remove the other. Here are tools to help with the program you decide to remove:
McAfee Removal
To uninstall Avira:
  • Start> Settings> Control Panel> Add or Remove Programs (Windows 2000/ XP) or Start - Control Panel - Uninstall a program (Windows Vista / 7)
  • Wait for the list of installed programs to load, then click the name of the Avira program.
  • Click Remove next to the program's name (Windows 2000 / XP) or in the menu above the list (Windows Vista / 7).
  • Press Yes, to confirm the removal and then OK.
  • . Click Next until Finish. The software is removed.
========================================
The installed programs list shows My.Freeze.com Toolbar with NetAssistant and also My.Freeze.com NetAssistant for FirefoxThese are the most likely culprit. I'd like you to try the following:
1. Click on Start> Control Panel> choose Uninstall a Program> Select each programs, one at a time> Choose Uninstall
2. Reboot the computer when finished.
3. There are several 'network' related Error events on the log. One refers to the 'dependency Service not running. For instance"
The Network List Service Identifies the networks to which the computer has connected, collects and stores properties for these networks, and notifies applications when these properties change.
Service Name (registry): netprofm

Display Name: Network List Service

This Service itself can be set to Manual Startup type. But in order to run, these are other Services that need to be running. These are called dependencies. The Dependencies for this Service are:
Dependencies

What service Network List Service needs to function properly:The letters after each are for the version of Windows 7 and below the Service needed for Network List Service shows, in turn, the other Service that is a dependency.

* Network Location Awareness (S, HB, HP, P, U, E)
o Network Store Interface Service (S, HB, HP, P, U, E)
+ NSI proxy service driver (S, HB, HP, P, U, E)
o Remote Procedure Call (RPC) (S, HB, HP, P, U, E)
+ DCOM Server Process Launcher (S, HB, HP, P, U, E)
+ RPC Endpoint Mapper (S, HB, HP, P, U, E)
o TCP/IP Protocol Driver (S, HB, HP, P, U, E)
* Remote Procedure Call (RPC) (S, HB, HP, P, U, E)
o DCOM Server Process Launcher (S, HB, HP, P, U, E)
o RPC Endpoint Mapper (S, HB, HP, P, U, E)
=================================================
Another frequent Error noted that isn't starting because the dependencies are running are:
The Workstation service depends on the Network Store Interface Service service which failed to start because of the following error: The dependency service or group failed to start.
==============================================
So you can see that the settings of the Services are important. Black Viper has the best site on the internet for each of the Windows OS Services. He explains what each is needed for, what their Startup Types should be and what the dependencies are> this is his site for reference. I set it to Windows 7:
http://www.blackviper.com/Windows_7/servicecfg.htm

SO: set up a new shortcut for Firefox. Test it out Make the Services change. Remove any part of the string from startup.Lt me know how this goes.

Hello Bobbye,

I found DpiScopy as a startup item in

system configuration>selective startup>startup

item manufacture command
DpiScopy unknown rundll32"C:\users\Nilanthi\AppData\local\temp\unlocont.dll"dllenrtypoint

HKCU\software\microsoft\windows\CurrentVersion\run

After I disabled it, the message does not show up anymore.

Thanks a LOT.

You're welcome. I'm sorry that wasn't handled in the other forum. Most of the time when an error come up at startup- particularly if it refers to a file that can't be found or is missing, it means that the program or app is on Startup. Also most of the time, it doesn't need to start on boot. The toss up is whether it's related to malware or not.

Did you want to continue and address the other matters? You should address the multiple antivirus programs. Reboot the computer when through.

Suggest you run this online scan after getting the AV down to one, to make sure nothing was allowed in.

Run Eset NOD32 Online AntiVirus scan HEREhttp://www.eset.eu/online-scanner
  1. Tick the box next to YES, I accept the Terms of Use.
  2. Click Start
  3. When asked, allow the Active X control to install
  4. Disable your current Antivirus software. You can usually do this with its Notification Tray icon near the clock.
  5. Click Start
  6. Make sure that the option "Remove found threats" is Unchecked, and the option "Scan unwanted applications" is checked
  7. Click Scan
  8. Wait for the scan to finish
  9. Re-enable your Antivirus software.
  10. A logfile is created and located at C:\Program Files\EsetOnlineScanner\log.txt. Please include this on your post.

Hi Bobbye,
I kept only one antivirus program and ran Eset.
Here's the log.

ESETSmartInstaller@High as CAB hook log:
OnlineScanner64.ocx - registred OK
OnlineScanner.ocx - registred OK
esets_scanner_update returned -1 esets_gle=53251

Well, Eset didn't return a log. Please see if this program will:

Run Kaspersky Online Scanner in Internet Explorer

Note: If you are using Windows Vista, open your browser by right-clicking on its icon and select 'Run as administrator' to perform this scan.
  • Click Accept and the web scanner will begin to load
  • If a yellow warning bar appears at the top of the browser, click it and choose Install ActiveX Control
  • You will be prompted to install an ActiveX component from Kaspersky, click Install
  • If you are prompted about another ActiveX control called Kaspersky Online Scanner GUI part then allow it to be installed also.
  • The program will launch and then begin downloading the latest definition files:
  • Once the files have been downloaded click on NEXT and then Scan Settings
  • In the scan settings make that the following are selected:
    [o] Scan using the following Anti-Virus database> Extended (if available otherwise Standard)
    [o] Scan Options: Scan Archives> Scan Mail Bases
  • Click OK
  • Now under select a target to scan:
    [o] Select My Computer
  • The program will start to scan your system.
  • Once the scan is complete, click on the Save as Text button and save the file to your desktop
Note for Internet Explorer 7 users: If at any time you have trouble with the accept button of the license, click on the Zoom tool located at the right bottom of the IE window and set the zoom to 75 %. Once the license is accepted, reset to 100%.

I did Kaspersky scanning and it didn't find any threats either.
Here's the report:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
KASPERSKY ONLINE SCANNER 7.0: scan report
Saturday, July 10, 2010
Operating system: Microsoft (build 7600)
Kaspersky Online Scanner version: 7.0.26.13
Last database update: Saturday, July 10, 2010 20:43:12
Records in database: 4241289
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Scan settings:
scan using the following database: extended
Scan archives: yes
Scan e-mail databases: yes

Scan area - My Computer:
C:\
D:\

Scan statistics:
Objects scanned: 114122
Threats found: 0
Infected objects found: 0
Suspicious objects found: 0
Scan duration: 01:58:53

No threats found. Scanned area is clean.

Selected area has been scanned.

This was the only problem I had. (unlocont.dll error).
Thanks for all your help Bobbye.

You're welcome. Glad to help.

Removing all of the tools we used and the files and folders they created

[*]Download OTCleanIt by OldTimer and save it to your Desktop.
[*] Double click OTCleanIt.exe.
[*] Click the CleanUp! button.
[*] If you are prompted to Reboot during the cleanup, select Yes.
[*]The tool will delete itself once it finishes.[/list]

Note: If you receive a warning from your firewall or other security programs regarding OTC attempting to contact the internet, please allow it to do so.
  • You should now set a new Restore Point and remove the old restore points to prevent infection from any previous Restore Points.
  • Go to Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools
  • Click "System Restore".
  • Choose "Create a Restore Point" on the first screen then click "Next".
  • Give the Restore Point a name> click "Create".
  • Go back and follow the path to > System Tools.
    [*]Choose Disc Cleanup
    [*]Click "OK" to select the partition or drive you want.
    [*]Click the "More Options" Tab.
    [*]Click "Clean Up" in the System Restore section to remove all previous Restore Points except the newly created one.

Empty the Recycle Bin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back