Unofficial PS4 Remote Play PC app launches tomorrow, but will Sony allow it?

Shawn Knight

Staff member

One of the flagship features of Microsoft’s Xbox One is game streaming, or the ability to play Xbox One games remotely on your Windows 10 PC (assuming of course, both machines are on the same local network). While Sony does allow streaming from its PlayStation 4 to, say, a Vita or select Android devices, it doesn’t (yet?) support streaming to a PC.

Fortunately, a workaround is just on the horizon as independent developer Twisted is preparing to release a Remote Play PC app later this week to enable such functionality.

As console hacking site Wololo points out, Twisted has previously taken the official Sony Android app for PS4 Remote Play and modified it to work on all Android devices. His upcoming app for PC play is a port of that mod although unlike his previous work, this one won’t be free.

In a blog post on the matter, Twisted explained that he has been working on the PC version part time for the past year. In order to devote all of his time to the project to get it stable, add features and port it to other platforms, he’ll need to charge for the app (likely $10) in order to pay for his living expenses.

Remote Play PC is expected to launch on Wednesday although if I was Twisted, I wouldn’t quit my day job just yet as it’s almost a given that Sony won’t be too thrilled with the idea. Should the company modify its service to block the developer’s app, he could wind up with a lot of unhappy customers on his hand that paid for something that no longer works.

Image courtesy Android Authority

Permalink to story.

Remote Play PC is expected to launch on Wednesday although if I was Twisted, I wouldn't quit my day job just yet as it's almost a given that Sony won't be too thrilled with the idea. Should the company modify its service to block the developer's app, he could wind up with a lot of unhappy customers on his hand that paid for something that no longer works.
I fail to see why Sony would care. It's not costing them anything. The game and console are still needed for streaming to PC.

Remote Play PC is expected to launch on Wednesday although if I was Twisted, I wouldn't quit my day job just yet as it's almost a given that Sony won't be too thrilled with the idea. Should the company modify its service to block the developer's app, he could wind up with a lot of unhappy customers on his hand that paid for something that no longer works.
I fail to see why Sony would care. It's not costing them anything. The game and console are still needed for streaming to PC.
There's still the fact that Sony has yet to open their Android app to all Android devices. If they are unwilling to officially do that, why would they ignore someone making money off of a hack of their own software?

If he tried for donations, it might go a bit better. But as much as I would love to see this succeed, I expect him to get a Cease and Desist letter from Sony at the least...

Yep. He likely killed any chance of Sony letting this one slide when he decided it would be paid.

Why would anyone stream ps4 to anything anyway? More lag and worse controls. Maybe you can get keyboard and mouse to it but making it to emulate controller and the before mentioned lag will make fps games unplayable. Also why would I power up two devices instead of one to play games? Just wastes electricity.

Ps4 emulator would be something, but we don't have ps3 emulator yet so make that first (might be tougher to make than ps4 emu but everyone has a ps4 and ps4 has 1-2 exclusive games that are worth having).

I'm with Alabama Man on this one, why would you want to stream PS4 games to a vastly superior platform that could play the same games and not be force to put up with latency issues. It was bad on Vita and the lack of dual shoulder buttons make most games unplayable, those stupid touch button things on the back are no replacement. On a PC I rather just use the hardware and play locally, not like it's hard to equip a PC to be vastly superior to PS4 spec wise.

Oh and surely this is going to be taken down as soon as it goes up, Sony will not appreciate a third party app they are also trying to develop that now charges their customers and they won't see any of the profit. Not like it really matters, it was a bad idea in the first place.

Sony, like to annoy people. If they had of left the Linux thing alone, they would of had more of a stance against the jailbreakers, who claimed they wanted back what they paid for, a console with linux.

Now you have someone doing something, that maybe Sony planned to do later, or maybe not, but now they know they can do it, maybe they will, and maybe they will charge too, and no doubt 2 or 3 times as much as this guy is going to. Because Sony are next in line to Apple when it comes to overpriced cheap crap, living off it's brand name.

And in regards to Alabamaman's fantasy of xbox360/ps3 emulators, have we had successful ps2/xbox emulators yet? That work 100% ? Cause I ain't sat here playing Final Fantasy X, and I would be.

Why would anyone stream ps4 to anything anyway? More lag and worse controls. Maybe you can get keyboard and mouse to it but making it to emulate controller and the before mentioned lag will make fps games unplayable. Also why would I power up two devices instead of one to play games? Just wastes electricity.

Ps4 emulator would be something, but we don't have ps3 emulator yet so make that first (might be tougher to make than ps4 emu but everyone has a ps4 and ps4 has 1-2 exclusive games that are worth having).

I use the PS Tv to stream my PS4, only trade off is a lower res (720p) and a bit more compression artifacts other than that there is no network or input lag. I use the PS4 joypad so no worse controls. I do this because I don't want to lug my PS4 downstairs/upstairs just to play a game...

Back