Unreadable message

Status
Not open for further replies.

Klytus

I have a Dell Optiplex 760 with 1GB or RAM, and running Windows XP Pro with SP3.

A few weeks ago, out of the clear-blue sky, this system started flashing a pop-up warning on the icon tray, much like the one that lets you know you have updates to download. Only the pop-up appears and vanishes instantly, so it is impossible to read. I have gone through the Event Logs, only nothing in them corresponds to the times the message appears. It also makes a "pop" sound when it happens, so I know I'm not just seeing things.

This finally become so annoying, I re-imaged the machine. It did it again. I replaced the hard drive, and re-imaged it. It kept doing it. I ran WipeDrive on the hard drives and did a clean install of Windows from the Dell CD. It kept doing it - before AND after I ran the Microsoft Updates. I ran Dell diagnostics on the system board and got an error with the floppy drive, so I had Dell sent a replacement. It kept doing it. I had Dell replace the motherboard. Still doing it. This happens whether I have an anti-virus program installed. It happens whether I have the Security Center set to monitor the anti-virus or not. All of the latest hardware drivers are loaded, and no missing items are showing in the Device manager.

I am beyond my wits end on this.

Has anyone out there ever encountered this before? Is there a way to make Windows slow down how quickly the pop-up message is displayed so I can actually read it when it appears? Does anyone have any other ideas?

Thanks in advance

"I re-imaged the machine"... re-imaged means, installing the same "suspect" image over and over? Is this a "clean" image or an image done on the "unreadable message" drive? Sounds like a hardware issue

"I re-imaged the machine"... re-imaged means, installing the same "suspect" image over and over? Is this a "clean" image or an image done on the "unreadable message" drive? Sounds like a hardware issue

I used both the old image, and a clean install of Windows from the Dell CD.

I agree that it is likely a hardware issue, I just wish I knew which hardware was causing it. I guess I have to start replacing everything else one component at a time until I get the errors to stop.

So after a few more hours of troubleshooting with Dell, re-installing Windows, and re-installing all the drivers...

... it was the KVM switch.

Once I moved it to a different location, and connected it directly to a monitor and keyboard, I stopped getting the errors.

I'm kicking myself for not having thought of doing that sooner.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back