Upcoming Nvidia GTX 900 series graphics cards allegedly benchmarked

Scorpus

Staff member

Word on the street is that Nvidia is currently preparing a new selection of graphics cards based on their 'Maxwell' architecture. The cards, which will likely be branded under the GeForce GTX 900 series (Nvidia is allegedly skipping the GTX 800 series), could be launched as early as next week.

Before Nvidia has managed to get the graphics cards in stores, alleged benchmarks of the GeForce GTX 980, GTX 970, GTX 980M and GTX 970M have appeared on VideoCardz.com. The benchmarks show the cards' performance in 3DMark's Fire Strike test compared to GPUs currently on the market.

upcoming nvidia gtx nvidia gpu graphics card benchmark leak gtx 900 series

For the GTX 980, the card is shown outperforming the AMD Radeon R9 290X and stock-clocked GeForce GTX 780 Ti by a decent margin. VideoCardz managed to get their hands on results for three separate core clock speeds, although it's not clear which one (if any) represents the stock speed. At 1.1 GHz it appears to perform quite well, coming close to the GTX 780 Ti at a similar clock speed.

Meanwhile the GTX 970 is seen to perform around the level of a stock-clocked GTX Titan, which is a handy performance gain over the GTX 770 from the previous generation.

upcoming nvidia gtx nvidia gpu graphics card benchmark leak gtx 900 series

As for the mobile chips, both the 980M and 970M are shown to perform significantly better than the GTX 880M and R9 M290X, with particularly impressive SLI performance. It's not clear how much power these chips are consuming, but keep in mind that Nvidia's Maxwell architecture is designed to deliver similar performance to Kepler at lower power levels.

As always we'd recommend taking these results with a grain of salt. With Nvidia apparently quite close to a release, it shouldn't be too long until we get finalized specifications for all these GPUs.

Permalink to story.

If I had those cards already and was going to break the NDA (assuming I had to sign one to get them) I would run more than just 3DMark :S

Looks very impressive for the mobile cards, but not so much for the desktop ones, especially when saying GTX 980 SLI will almost reach the performance of R2 295X2 - that's quite unimpressive for a new generation of cards from nVidia.

Looks very impressive for the mobile cards, but not so much for the desktop ones, especially when saying GTX 980 SLI will almost reach the performance of R2 295X2 - that's quite unimpressive for a new generation of cards from nVidia.

It will all boil down to pricing, so we will know what's what soon :)

Well, if current trend continues for NVidia gpu to use less power despite the huge gains, amd again is in trouble for both processors and gpu market.
next ps and xbox iterations may feature NVidia gpu as the need of eco-friendly green technology arises.

Nvidia has announced that the company will be skipping the GeForce 800 series for desktop graphics cards, most likely due to the fact that the GTX 800M series consists of high-end Kepler and low-end Maxwell based components. Instead, Nvidia has announced that the newly-renamed GeForce GTX 980 and GTX 970 will be introduced formally on the 19th of September 2014.

Well that was quick.

With the 970 coming near to a Titan, I smell yet another price gouging session coming. Personally, I hope that does not happen.

I am not sure yet if I truly believe this chart because it seems "odd" and something that is too convenient to recent predictions as I see the 980 as being higher than that (Unless were expecting another ti variant).

The mobile chart though would blow my mind!

Not sure, ill wait until the official day before I make my judgments.

Well, if current trend continues for NVidia gpu to use less power despite the huge gains, amd again is in trouble for both processors and gpu market.
next ps and xbox iterations may feature NVidia gpu as the need of eco-friendly green technology arises.
Doubtful, its a new generation so of course things are going to get better so I doubt this is going to do more than adjust prices until our next competition cards arise. On the console side its very doubtful the GPU would be swapped out on either side in the near minimum of 5+ years since its a new console cycle.

Alright, after read the article, I've come in conclusion: When GTX 980 hit the market, I'll sit nicely and wait a couple of months for GTX 980 Ti version.

This doesn't make me want to jump & get a 980.....it's performance on this chart is terrible, this thing better be like 400$ or less.

For me the selling point I think is the VRAM, which afaik is likely to be 4GB. 1.5GB now with the consoles is a bit constricting.

Alright, after read the article, I've come in conclusion: When GTX 980 hit the market, I'll sit nicely and wait a couple of months for GTX 980 Ti version.
That's if they bother to fully unlock the GPU; they haven't always done so. Actually, due to the nomenclature change, I wonder if they'll even do a full revision for the new naming scheme, or a mix and match like AMD did with the R9s.

Time to part my dual EVGA GTX 780 Ti Dual Classified Hydro Coppers.
LOL why would you sell your 780Ti's for such a miniscule difference in performance? :/ no offence but that's a very *****ic thing to do, even for an enthusiast.

Agreed, I only hope the 780tis drop in price even 20 to 50 bucks would be nice

Awesome! I can bring out my 9800GT from retirement and run Crysis III on max settings!

I think that the Maxwell GPUs have the edge as lower power consumption for the same performance is a real advantage. Having a PC that is more power efficient saves you money in the long term and should help the PC last longer if it is staying cooler. Frankly I am more interested in buying quality components rather than the cheapest. That means buying a GPU with good quality capacitors etc. I also like large diameter fans that are quiet.

I'm still taking this with a healthy grain of salt, but we'll see soon enough.

3DMark doesn't scale particularly well on SLI. You'd need judge scaling on a case by case basis using the current cards scaling as a guide. I'd be more inclined to look at individual cards (using the lowest value for the Maxwell ones, since that is most likely to be stock - people don't usually underclock to benchmark performance).
The fact that the other scores are averaged from aggregated reviews also means that the results - particularly for the older cards- will be skewed if you take into account driver revisions and 3DMark patches. When was the last time you saw a GTX 770 SLI review?
I'm still taking this with a healthy grain of salt, but we'll see soon enough.
That should be first and foremost in most peoples minds. Videocardz isn't really in the top echelon of review benchmarking. When I see tech gossip sites trying to get all fancy with the bar graphs my first mental image is usually
_58261501_1177461-low_res-animal-einsteins.jpg

It's probably a little too much to hope that Nvidia supplies the pricing at Game24 when the cards are announced on the 18th (19th for us) - they'd probably like to keep AMD guessing, or at least sucker AMD by circulating a higher price, and launching $50 or more cheaper as per the GTX 680 launch.
Time to part my dual EVGA GTX 780 Ti Dual Classified Hydro Coppers.
I wouldn't bother based on these charts. The results are based upon 1920x1080 in all probability. Somehow I can't see a 256-bit card getting better against a 384-bit 780 Ti as the resolution/image quality increases.

Last edited:
Ya the new 980 is a single chip gpu. AMD must have 2 gpu's water cooled just to beat it.
This doesn't matter if the 2 water-cooled GPUs are the same price. What it will come down to is real benchmark results (I don't really trust videocardz) and price/availability.

This doesn't matter if the 2 water-cooled GPUs are the same price. What it will come down to is real benchmark results (I don't really trust videocardz) and price/availability.
never said any thing about prices. I was referring to what AMD had to do to just barley compete with Nvidia.

Did you not see SLI listed after 980? Those are two 980s not one! So the 295 beats two 980s!

Looking to buy a 980 day one, do they usually go on sale right after the announcement? Like the 19th for the supposed announcement, will they be up immediately following, or sometime in the weeks after?

Back