Upgrade stock Phenom II 710 to 1090T?

ET3D

I have a Phenom II 710 in my PC which has only 3 cores (couldn't unlock a 4th) and is running at stock speed (I'm not much of an overclocker and my limited attempts failed to gain any significant speed). The PC has an AM2+ motherboard (Gigabyte GA-MA790X-UD4).

Recently I encountered some cases where the 710 was just too little for me. I'm working from home and was running simulations which are single core but sometimes I ran more than one at a time. I got to where my PC slowed down (all cores were at 100%), and I could also use a faster single core speed so they finish faster. While my usage has changed somewhat in recent weeks (more remote work instead of local), I still think it's worth getting an upgrade.

I was hoping that the Phenom II X6 1090T will drop in price once Bulldozer appears, but since that got postponed, and I have someone to bring me the CPU from the US if I order right now, I thought it might be a good opportunity (especially since my birthday is coming up next month). $180 is a little more than I hoped to pay, but not really that bad.

Still, I'd like to get some opinions about this.

The benefits I see:

- Compatible with my current PC, no need to upgrade anything else, saving money and time.
- Double the cores, which is good for when I need that.
- Higher core speed: 3.2GHz (3.6GHz with turbo) vs. 2.6GHz.
- Black Edition, so easy to overclock if I want it.
- Will cost less than the 710 cost me two years ago if I buy it in the US.

Down sides:

- Old CPU tech, slower than Intel's or the upcoming Bulldozer.
- It will be harder to make an excuse for a new PC any time soon, especially to my wife.

What do you think?

It is hard to argue with any of your points there,:) however the performance increase will be profound from the x3 710 to the x6 1090. You can save about $30 (US) and get the 1055T to accomplish the same thing. The Thubans are all the same CPU (unlocked multi excluded)
The Thubans OC easily, and the 1055,1075,1090,1100, will all OC to between 4.0-4.3 Ghz with little effort, and for multi-threaded applications it is very fast. I am running an 1090T @ 4.26Ghz for Video editing,3DSMax,Photoshop CS5, and other adobe applicatiuons and am very pleased with it. Contrary to poplular belief, there are a number of games now that make use of 4+ cores as well.
Here are some numbers to look at.
http://www.guru3d.com/article/asus-crosshair-iv-formula-review/16
I am however awaiting Bulldozer, so good luck with whateveryou decide.

Thanks, red. I ended up ordering the 1090T on Amazon.com. It's $180 plus you get a $20 Amazon gift card for free. The 1055T costs $160 and you get just a $10 gift card, so it's just a $10 difference in the end. The 1090T is a BE so the unlocked multiplier will make it easier to overclock. I think that and the fact that it already comes clocked higher are worth the extra $10. (I also spent $10 on two day shipping, to make sure it arrives on time. Might have been able to save $5 but I think $5 for peace of mind isn't bad.)

Thanks, red. I ended up ordering the 1090T on Amazon.com. It's $180 plus you get a $20 Amazon gift card for free. The 1055T costs $160 and you get just a $10 gift card, so it's just a $10 difference in the end. The 1090T is a BE so the unlocked multiplier will make it easier to overclock. I think that and the fact that it already comes clocked higher are worth the extra $10. (I also spent $10 on two day shipping, to make sure it arrives on time. Might have been able to save $5 but I think $5 for peace of mind isn't bad.)

Why not upgrade to a Sandy Bridge platform? The AMD Phenom 2 X6 aren't that fast. Sandy Bridge CPUs are faster.

Why not upgrade to a Sandy Bridge platform? The AMD Phenom 2 X6 aren't that fast. Sandy Bridge CPUs are faster.

Because it will cost me twice as much to get a Sandy Bridge system that's faster than the Phenom II X6 upgrade.

Back