Upgrade win 7 to 10

Hello, I am using a desktop (64bit) with win 7. I have purchased win 10 pro (64 bit) and it is on a DVD. I want to upgrade to win 10 and retain the programs presently working with win 7. Question is - do I need the windows "media creation tool" in order to do the upgrade ? or do I just insert the win 10 DVD & let it guide me through the upgrade process ?

Start the upgrade using the DVD from within Windows 7. That will guide you through the in-place upgrade. You already have a DVD, so no need in downloading. That is unless your DVD is old and you want the most recent build release.

Start the upgrade using the DVD from within Windows 7. That will guide you through the in-place upgrade. You already have a DVD, so no need in downloading. That is unless your DVD is old and you want the most recent build release.
Thanks Cliff, the DVD is new, just received it. Thanks again. Ed

FIRST, make a clone copy of your storage (HDD/SSD). While not every installation loses your data, it is better safe than sorry.

Hello, I am using a desktop (64bit) with win 7. I have purchased win 10 pro (64 bit) and it is on a DVD. I want to upgrade to win 10 and retain the programs presently working with win 7. Question is - do I need the windows "media creation tool" in order to do the upgrade ? or do I just insert the win 10 DVD & let it guide me through the upgrade process ?

Additional question regarding the win 7 to 10 upgrade. I presently use the following on the win 7 machine - 2 monitors, 4 usb ports, 1 com port. My thoughts are to leave the following items connected during the upgrade - both monitors, keyboard and mouse. I can disconnect the other 2 usb cables and the com port cable, as they connect to Ham Radio equipment (which will be turned off). Since I am upgrading from a DVD, should I disconnect the internet during the upgrade ?

My understanding of the Win10 upgrade is that it will determine if it knows what is connected and will try to get proper drivers to install all it can - so, it may need internet to do it. Unsure it is necessary, but I think you may want to leave the Ham equipment off. After you are happy with the installation, use drivers & programs which you saved on a flash drive and set aside.

This may help.. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...-windows/310e06a4-b181-45ec-ae6d-ee93a1632932

Hint: NEVER trust Microsoft to choose or update device drivers ... do it manually for yourself and you will be much happier.

....[ ].... Since I am upgrading from a DVD, should I disconnect the internet during the upgrade ?
....[ ]....
To the best of my knowledge, internet is required for the activation of your new installation to be enabled. This has been true of all prior installations of Windows since XP as well. I suppose you could do the install and then activate later. However, I don't see any advantage in that approach.

Here's an interesting anecdotal side note about activation. M$ uses telemetry constantly, on all versions of Windows, escalating with each new version.

I ran afoul of this, in the process of something I considered innocent, and well within "the point system", M$ assigns to hardware changes.

I installed a video card (GT-750 ti) in my heretofore IGP based computer (Intel i3 3225), while disconnected from the web. When I did hook back up to the web, M$ promptly deactivated my Win 7 install.

However, (having smartened up a bit), I left my i5 6600 rig, which was running off the IGP at the time, hooked to the web while installed a GtX-1050 ti, and heard absolutely noting from the douches in Redmond when I made the install.

As always your results, and other's opinions may vary.

Last edited:
I used the Windows built-in Disk Management to partition by shrinking the System disk and creating the new partition. I located my data in the hidden C:\user\name folder. You'll have the latest version of Windows 10 (1909) when finished. I've done this many times with success.

I used the Windows built-in Disk Management to partition by shrinking the System disk and creating the new partition. I located my data in the hidden C:\user\name folder. You'll have the latest version of Windows 10 (1909) when finished. I've done this many times with success.
Right. Windows only formats "C:/" during its installation.

You can easily save your extant data to a partition or separate drive altogether, which is my preferred way of doing it.

Anecdotally, I have a 1 TB Toshiba HDD partitioned to C:/ 250 GB & "J:/" 750 GB. This drive never fails to trip the "disk check necessary warning", every time I boot the machine. There's nothing wrong, but I get the disk check protocol anyway..

In today's computing environment, any machine with SATA 3 ability, deserves a separate SSD for the OS, with any HDDs, relegated to storage function.

Last edited:
I run all my PCs permanently with these 2 partitions and I can always recover Windows with Macrium Reflect without ever touching my Data. I do backups of Windows on a weekly basis. I use SyncFolders to backup my data daily to an external drive.

I run all my PCs permanently with these 2 partitions and I can always recover Windows with Macrium Reflect without ever touching my Data. I do backups of Windows on a weekly basis. I use SyncFolders to backup my data daily to an external drive
Unless the C:/ partitioned drive is a large (and expensive), 1 TB+ SSD, you really don't know what you're missing.

Last edited:
Additional question regarding the win 7 to 10 upgrade. I presently use the following on the win 7 machine - 2 monitors, 4 usb ports, 1 com port. My thoughts are to leave the following items connected during the upgrade - both monitors, keyboard and mouse. I can disconnect the other 2 usb cables and the com port cable, as they connect to Ham Radio equipment (which will be turned off). Since I am upgrading from a DVD, should I disconnect the internet during the upgrade ?
Me again, well, decided to install the DVD disk and see what came up on screen. I started the setup process. This took about 30 sec, then I got the message below
1576599500363.png
At this point, I X'd out and removed the DVD. I think instructions should be included on the screen, something like "if this is a new install click here, if a upgrade click here". For anyone having done this process, should I have just click "next" at the message above ? I was just afraid I was about to wipe out Win 7. Yes I am a rookie.

Back