Upgrading Advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pink

Hi,
i am considering upgrading my pc, and i wanted to know what should i upgrade and what should i keep (don't have a big budget, so i'd prefer to keep whatever i can!)

so here's my setup:

Mobo: Asus M2N4-sli
Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 5600+
Ram: 2gb kingston DDR2
GPU: Ati Radeon HD 4670 512 Vram

so? what do i do?

Thanks

Hi Pink,
why are you upgrading?, and what is it you want to be able to do with your machine that you cant now?
secondly, what is your upgrade budget?
and what Power supply do you have?

Hey Red! wow, lightning fast responses in this forum!

To tell you the truth, i'm only upgrading because there's so much new hardware coming out, i feel like my pc is obsolete. there's nothing that i can't do with my machine now that i want to do.
i have a 650 psu.

another question.

i have about 400 gb hard drives, i am between a new 1.5 tb harddrive, and a new 2 gb ram.

my budget is 200 USD

Thanks!

For 200 USD there really isn't all that much you can do that would take you leaps and strides into the "Now". Yeah there's a lot of really neat new technology out there, but $200 is barely even the tip of the iceberg for how much it all costs.

If it were me, I'd likely save my money and save up a little bit extra in order to buy a motherboard and processor combo and some faster RAM later on. That would be the best step up you could make. Your graphics card is powerful, 2 gigs of RAM is still plenty for now, and 400 gigs of hard drive space is easily 3 times the size of the hard drive I'm using and I barely feel any need to upgrade. Unless you're downloading a new movie every day or something, that should keep you sated for a while yet.

I know it's exciting to upgrade and customize and what-not, but for $200 bucks worth of stuff? I think it's just not worth it in your case. Hold on to it for a little bit longer and set a slightly loftier goal. The new things will come down in price meanwhile and by then you might have enough cash to pimp out your computer properly.

well the best advice i can offer, would be that if there is nothing performance wise that is keeping you from what you wan to do, but want to get in on the newer technology, don't spend your $200 on upgrading your current machine and save it until you have about $400-500 and you can put together a machine that will way outperform the one you have now. just my 2 cents :)

As an addendum to my earlier post, you'd be best off saving up for a Core i5 Lynnfield 2.66ghz, a P55 motherboard, and 2 gigs of DDR3 1333 RAM. That would pull you right up to the "now" and last you for a good long time. The problem is it will cost you in the area of about $450 bucks, which is right around the area that Red just suggested you save up for. If you can save up that much, you'll be in business and we can link you to that delicious hardware.

so here's my setup:

Mobo: Asus M2N4-sli
Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 5600+
Ram: 2gb kingston DDR2
GPU: Ati Radeon HD 4670 512 Vram
i have about 400 gb hard drives, i am between a new 1.5 tb harddrive, and a new 2 gb ram.

my budget is 200 USD
You already have 2 Gig of Ram :confused: Adding another 2Gig will do nothing for XP, not only that but it won't even see it; or use it.

A bigger hard drive does not make your computer faster or "upgraded" exactly
Most users just purchase an external hard drive for their data (movies; pics; etc)

As stated $200 is not nearly enough for a complete upgrade
This post HERE asked the same question (but on $250) he's now saving for a more expensive setup. So should you ;)

Hey thanks everyone for the replies!!
Ivan, thanks for the advice, i'll post again when i get 450!!! but isn't that intel tech? can you point me in the direction of similar amd stuff? just preference..
Red, thanks for the advice!
and Kim, thanks! but i need additional space because i work with audio software, and that kinda takes up a lot of space...

Thanks for the quick replies everyone!

ooo, I got a mention :)
That's a big thing for me in "Hardware"
I generally don't like this forum as it usually goes with sales, and I only like giving free support, without the dollar value.

Maybe I'll get more into hardware :rolleyes: Nah :D Leave that to the others in the know

Thanks for the update :grinthumb

hey pink,
I build many computers for people who are budget conscious, and as such I appreciate the price/performance ratio of many of the AMD products. so if you want to give this article of mine a perusal, it might help when you consider building.
hope it is of some assistance :)
https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic133075.html

Hey Red,
thanks for linking me to your guide, i'll save for that amd phenom II x3, looks great!

thanks for everything guys1

Wow red1776, I just did a word count on that book (I mean Guide) and its about ~4,500 words
I did read most of it, and I have to say, Wow, excellent guide :grinthumb Basically I wasn't here when you made it, so have only seen it now.

...okay, okay so i'm a little long winded :haha::p, thanks Kims!:D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back