Upgrading from E5700 to E6550 would stop bottleneck?

telmosantos

I've been experiencing bottleneck, i think cause of my processor being so weak).
I've come up to this processor Core 2 Duo E6550, would it stop the bottleneck ? or is the bottleneck caused by something else ?

PSU is 500W (and its of average/good quality) all voltages are right and the Molex to PCI are all conected, the problem is hardware wise.
Using Windows 7 Home Premium.

I need an answer in a few days. Thanks in advance :)

PS: I play MW3 with only shadows off (90fps), but Metro 2033 with 30-40 :c when it should be 60 with my gfx card. This makes me almost certain that it is the CPU.
But if you see that the problem may be from the Ram or the MOBO, plz warn me :)

I play maximum at 1280x1024 (max my monitor can get)

so... im not playing at 1080p or anything ^^ im too poor for that type of stuff xD

and the thing is, 1024x728 will have as much fps as 1280x1024 , which leads me to think the problem has to be of the CPU xD

Metro 2033 can be cpu intensive. The 6550 is 2.33ghz and its not much of an upgrade. You're at where you should be between the 5700.

A 8600(wolfdale) will increase your workload capacity by about 40%. I imagine you could find it for cheap right now. You have to check to see if you need a bios update to use it. Its probably the only thing you can do w/o switching out a bunch of hardware for an even larger boost in performance.

what if i overclock it from 2.33 to about 2.66 or 2.8 or something like that ?

i heard it get to 3.2GHz easelly, but taking in consideration my thermal equips, id put its Hz at 3.0 maximum >_< i dont want it to overheat

I know that from E5700 to E6550 isnt a GREAT upgrade.
But the main question is , will it stop or at least reduce by a medium amount, the bottleneck caused in some games ?

%5 increase in performance, if you want to translate to your fps in Metro 2033 that's less than 3 fps, barely noticeable.

:are you f*cking kidding me:

then how am i supposed to take advantage of an HD4850 ?

i mean, my brother has an 8800GTS 512MB and the rest of his specs are like mine, Pentium D 3.0, 4GB of *DDr3* ram, identical HDD, casing is a twin, also the PSU is the same.
and he gets about +10 to 20 fps in games then i do ...

why doesnt the GPU keep up with the CPU, instead of being lowered ?
i mean, HD4850 is supposed to be better then 8800gt in performance right ?

i dont get it ... is it the MOBO ? he has a diferent MOBO , its an ASUS P5G41T-M LX.

is it a Radeon problem ? are Nvidia cards better at keeping the performance even ? i just dont get it ... damn bottleneck ... xD

i've heard that Pentium D sucks and that moving to Core 2 Duo (C2D) is a great improvement. but you are stating a so low increase... im frightned :c

can you somehow prove that ? i mean, is there any benchmark website, where you can forsee the performance boost ? (sorry for all the newbie questions >_<)

no E5700 on the charts :c
but i found this : http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/319976-10-e660-e5700

basically he is chosing between E6600 and E5700, and it comes to this :

"1st make sure your motherboard can support the Pentium E5700 (3.0GHz) or Core 2 Duo E6600 (2.4GHz). Overall the E5700 should give you better performance because of the higher speed.

The primary difference between the Pentium E5700 and the C2D E6600 are:

1. The FSB on the E5700 is 800MHz vs. 1066MHz of the C2D E6600. Basically it means the RAM will be a little slower, but this should be mostly offset by the higher speed of the CPU.

2. There is 2MB of cache rather than 4MB of cache. This should not be much of an issue for games.

3. The Pentium lack SSE4 extensions. Not a big deal for games since they are mostly used for video encoding and probably decoding purposes.

The Pentium E6600 (3.06GHz) should not be much more than the E5700. It's FSB is 1066MHz so data transfer will be faster than the E5700.

The E5700 will definitely give you a performance boost because the newer architecture is more efficient than the old Pentium 4 and because it is a dual core processor which is minimum for most modern games. However, as I stated, if you can you should get the Pentium E6600 instead of the Pentium E5700 because the E6600 allows you to use faster RAM and should provided slightly faster performance."

what i understand from slightly is like 15-25% boost, otherwise he would just say, stick to the 5700 cause its cheaper (67€ to 100€ is almost twice as much) and will have only 5% less performance... :/

im thinking that the E6550 overclocked a bit to about 2.88, 3.0 something like that, will give me some boost and get rid of most of my fps drop... but if you have another opinion, id like to hear it :D

as he says, the E6600 alows to use faster RAM (houm) one thing ive noticed, ive put my CPU overclocked sometimes CPU to 3.10 and the RAM from 333 to 400, but after some times, it gets back to original values ... i dont know why , any suggestion about why this happens ? im pretty sure the BIOS battery isnt dead yet ._.

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/gaming-cpu-overclocking-processor-recommendation,review-32124-5.html

the 6550 is above the 5700 about 5 processors (houm)
would the 7400 13 processors above have a huge impact on the bottleneck ?

What you posted above after looking on toms is fact, only benefit you'll really see in games is from the difference in ram speeds, but the difference is barely noticeable.
I've owned the socket type and both types of ram. The difference isn't even worth mentioning for games.

I've given you my advise. I hope you find a solution rather you take the advise or not.

The reason why i'm not looking for a C2Q, is because i dont have that much money ^^ a C2Q in 2nd hand is still about 100€ :x so.... yeah.

im looking for a reason why i cant buy a core 2 duo (cause in most forums people say core 2 quads are pretty much useless for gaming, due to the fact that no game still uses that, not sure by now with the new games) the thing is, im just a casual, falling to semi-hardcore player :D, i just want to play normal games ... i play Mw3 (very new game O_o 90FPS only without shadows, why do i play America's Army 3 with only 30fps ?

why isnt there a core 2 duo that can take the heat of normal/modern games ?

To anyone having my PC specs and that hopefully gets this topic while having bottleneck :x upgrade to some quadcore. Now i have a Q8200. Play Crysis 1024x728 (which is a fine resolution imo) with about 40-50 fps O_O

i played with 20 in my old specs, so im very happy ^^

To anyone having my PC specs and that hopefully gets this topic while having bottleneck :x upgrade to some quadcore. Now i have a Q8200. Play Crysis 1024x728 (which is a fine resolution imo) with about 40-50 fps O_O

i played with 20 in my old specs, so im very happy ^^
I'm glad everything worked out for you. :)

I wasn't trying to pressure you but I knew you wouldn't gain much performance with the CPU pick you had chosen. Thats why I asked, why you hadn't mentioned buying a quad core. I felt if you was going to spend your money, it would have been a waste on another dual core.

Back