Upgrading from Vista Ultimate 32 to 7 Pro 64

What do I have to do to make this happen. If I save all my "stuff" (pics, vids, etc.) on and external drive and then totally rebuild my system from scratch to run Windows 7 Pro 64 will I be able to add this drive back into my system?

I've said this before and it never goes down well but this sounds like a bad idea. A 64 bit system needs far more memory than a 32 bit so you'll end up with much the same OS as before but slower and still very much out of date. There are other things I could add like pointing out that you will need to spend a silly amount of time on the project. My suggestion is that you buy a new desktop computer running Windows 10 or at least reconsider your options.

I've said this before and it never goes down well but this sounds like a bad idea. A 64 bit system needs far more memory than a 32 bit so you'll end up with much the same OS as before but slower and still very much out of date. There are other things I could add like pointing out that you will need to spend a silly amount of time on the project. My suggestion is that you buy a new desktop computer running Windows 10 or at least reconsider your options.
I guess you didn't understand my question. I have pulled off all my stuff and put it onto another HDD. I want to scrap what's in my computer now except for my 1000w PWS and rebuild it. New motherboard, CPU, memory, OS, etc. The last time I rebuilt my system was in 2006! Will I be able to take the HDD and put into my new system and pull off all my stuff? I don't want to buy a new computer because I hate all the extra crap they add onto it.

I answered my own question. Never mind. Here's my problem. I built my current system in 2007. With the exception of a couple of things, it's really old and it's starting to show it's age and I need to build a new system. I didn't realize until recently that SATA drives are I, II, III and up. I have a SATA II drive running Windows Vista Ultimate and a SATA I drive that I pulled out of an external HDD(it was a WD My Book 500)and stuck into my new system when it started to fail. It turned out that it was everything but the HDD so I made it work. I have a brand new SATA III WD drive I've had for 3 years that I will use for my back up drive and I will get a new everything and put Windows ??? something on and start over. Now that I know that motherboards are backward compatible I know I can stick that older SATA I drive in and pull my stuff off of it and then donate it to the recycle bin. What Windows OS should I get to put on my new system?

We didn't really get anywhere with this but you are happy to go ahead. Now you have raised a new question, "What Windows OS should I get to put on my new system?" I suggest that you start another thread.

Back