Upgrading home office network - need suggestions

So I got a slingbox for Christmas and I need more ports.

I currently have 5 computers, a printer, Apple time capsule w/wi-fi AP, and a vonage box connected to a Netgear 8-port FVS318 connected to another Vonage box which is in turn connetced to my dsl modem.

So I'm looking to move to a 16 port router with some type of QoS support that I can prioritize the traffic from the vonage boxes so they don't cut out when I'm on the phone & transferring files or using my sling box.

I have been browsing around and I found Netgears FS116E but I'm not quite sure if this would be a good fit or quite how it would best fit into my network since it is a switch.

I have also been told I should look at a gigabit router.

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

TIA,
Jason

I would go for a good Linksys/Cisco or Netgear gigabit/Wireless N router (with the standard 4 ports), and then get a good Linksys/Cisco or Netgear 8/16 port gigabit switch instead.

Then you need to consider whether your (in your mind) essential devices can all handle gigabit networking (e.g. do they have gigabit NICs?), and upgrade these if possible as well.

I must admit I have have very good shielded cat5e cabling throughout my house, but I'm yet to replace my two switches and router with gigabit versions, even though all of my networked devices can handle gigabit connections.

prioritize the traffic from the vonage boxes so they don't cut out when I'm on the phone & transferring files or using my sling box.
should not occur if you installed the DSL line filters on every phone and device connected to the phone line.

the vonage boxes can be manipulated from vonage website to control that. also the vonage boxes or at least the ones Ive seen have four ports as well so a 16 port monster is not exactly neccessary.

Back