Upgrading power supply and video card for a Dell Inspiron 530s

Hey. I'm mainly looking to upgrade my video card. Which is pretty much going to require me to upgrade the power supply also. Unless someone throws a video card in my lap that will work on a 250W power supply. The problem I'm running into is this: my tower is too slim for pretty much everything. Dell sells upgrades through their site but I'm wondering if there are other brands that sell something better/cheaper/fitworthy. Thanks in advance.

These use a slimmer PSU if I remember correctly.

Your probably going to need to replace the case to be honest, which will also mean you'll need to replace the CPU cooler, because Dell use a screw-in design, which relies on the tray behind the motherboard having screws to hold the CPU cooler in place.

You could just get a bigger Dell case, pretty much any Inspirion or Vostro case will fit your hardware, plus you can then use a ATX PSU too. That will be your cheapest solution, purely because you only have the case to purchase.

If you want an aftermarket case your going to need the case, and a new CPU cooler, and possibly a new motherboard, dependant on whether you can remove the insulation tabs on each side of the cpu cooler mounting holes.

Back