Upgrading RAM in a Pentium D PC

My PC has has 2 slots for RAM and it has 2 ddr2 RAM (512,1gb) I was gonna buy a stick of 2gb ddr2 ram to replace the 512mb my friend said something about cache that my hardware cant handle the 2b ddr2 ram my mobo is ASUS P5VD2-VM SE

It can handle up to 2 2GB sticks of DDR2 667. It would be wise to buy 2 1GB sticks or 2 2GB sticks rather than 1 2GB stick. You generally don't want to run RAM that is 2 different sizes (although it can sometimes be done).

I have 1512 RAM right now and I dont have money to buy another 2GB because I just bought 1GB..

So you are telling me to buy another 1 GB ram instead of the 2GB? The prices are quite the favor for the 2GB

Hi Xtian19

SNGX1275 is simply suggesting a matched pair of RAM modules would minimize your chances of having memory issues.

If you can't afford two matched pair of memory modules, one module of the same brand and size would be better than using a different brand or size.

Ouch because the shop that I bought has 1GB but no 2b and another has 2GB and 4gb but ddr3..

What kind of memory issues will I get of that?

If your board will indeed handle 4GB of RAM across the 2 slots, you should be able to install a 2GB module in slot 2. This will cause either of 2 things.

1. your RAM will run in dual channel mode for 1GB of each slot, and the top half of the 2GB stick will run in single channel,

Or 2. The RAM will run in single channel, period.

If you put one 2GB stick in slot one, the RAM will be single channel.

For either event to happen, the RAM must be generic, not dissimilar high performance / standard (generic), modules.

Keep in mind that 32 bit XP doesn't do well with more than 2GB RAM total. (You didn't post your OS).

Asustek boards, (at one time), were picky about the RAM they would accept. I really don't know about your particular model.

DDR-2 has become a "replacement part". That's the reason the price is high compared to DDR-3. Just be thankful you don't have DDR.

Ouch because the shop that I bought has 1GB but no 2b and another has 2GB and 4gb but ddr3..

What kind of memory issues will I get of that?
If you have to ask whether DDR-2 or DDR-3 are compatible, (they aren't), I'm no so sure you should be fumbling around inside your computer.

We can't answer that question, we don't know if different brands will play nice together.
We can answer that question with a fair amount of certainty, but not with absolute certainty.

Does that mean its ok If i just buy another 1 GB ddr2 ram even it is in another brand?
I can think of situations where you could get into trouble installing the same brand, but a different part number.

As I said before, for it to work together, it must be generic RAM. The most important factors that make RAM, "generic", are the
type", the voltage, and the timing, (including "latency". You can even mix speeds, at least to a certain extent.

However I'm not really getting where it's so expensive to go ahead and buy a 4GB kit, and be done with it: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820134641 4 GB (2 x 2GB) 800Mhz = 50 bucks, free shipping, no sales tax, (in most states).

And yes, your board will run 800 Mhz RAM, but @ 667 Mhz.

Thanks for the help guys. I don't really have the money to buy that. 1 pc of 2gb dd2 ram here is $50 already. I live in the Philippines not in the USA.

Why is my PC reading 1.4GB ram if 2 different kinds are bad for it?

Thanks for the help guys. I don't really have the money to buy that. 1 pc of 2gb dd2 ram here is $50 already. I live in the Philippines not in the USA.

Why is my PC reading 1.4GB ram if 2 different kinds are bad for it?
"Generic" specced RAM >>WILL<< work together with different brands. I do believe I mentioned that already. In fact, more than once....

As a side note, the PC I'm typing this on has a least 2 different brands of RAM in it!

Before dishing out $50 ( i assume you mean usd) for 2 gb ram have a look on ebay, there are high rated sellers who will ship out ram worldwide for the price you see it in US stores.

Edit: I misread your comment, if you plan to buy 1gb for $ 25 I still recommend looking at eBay for a 2gb ram stick.

Back