Upgrading video card in a Studio XPS 7100

BrandonPedersen

Hi all,

I'm looking at upgrading my vid card and was looking for some outside opinions on what I should be aiming for. I have a studio XPS 7100 desktop with the following specs, AMD Phenom II X6 1045T 2.7ghz processor and also a 450W psu. I'm wanting to be able to run newer games. And do I need to upgrade my processor as well?

Manufacturer Dell Inc.
Model Studio XPS 7100
Total amount of system memory 6.00 GB RAM
System type 64-bit operating system
Number of processor cores 6
Storage
Total size of hard disk(s) 919 GB
Disk partition (C:) 772 GB Free (919 GB Total)
Media drive (D:) CD/DVD
Graphics
Display adapter type ATI Radeon HD 5450
Total available graphics memory 3839 MB
Dedicated graphics memory 1024 MB
Dedicated system memory 0 MB
Shared system memory 2815 MB
Display adapter driver version 8.740.0.0
Primary monitor resolution 1920x1080
DirectX version
DirectX 10

What sort of budget do you have for the graphics card?

Your processor isn't too bad, and shouldn't give you a whole lot of bottlenecking issues unless you get a very high end graphics card.

What sort of budget do you have for the graphics card?

Your processor isn't too bad, and shouldn't give you a whole lot of bottlenecking issues unless you get a very high end graphics card.

Well, the budget is flexible. I'd like to be around $100 to $150 if possible

For $100 - $150 I would recommend the 650Ti and if you could open up your budget a bit more. I would then go a bit higher for the HD 7850.

Looks like they have a 460w psu. Should be ok, but I'd calculate to make sure: http://www.extreme.outervision.com/psucalculatorlite.jsp

You will also want to confirm that your PSU has a GPU line. Easiest way to find out fast would be to peak inside your case and see if there is a power supply cable connected directly to your GPU. I'd be surprised if there isn't but you never know.

Looks like they have a 460w psu. Should be ok, but I'd calculate to make sure: http://www.extreme.outervision.com/psucalculatorlite.jsp

You will also want to confirm that your PSU has a GPU line. Easiest way to find out fast would be to peak inside your case and see if there is a power supply cable connected directly to your GPU. I'd be surprised if there isn't but you never know.
Brandon, make sure you dont get an OCed version since those suck up a lot of power and you dont have much flexibility here.

Thanks for all the help guys. I've checked out the 650Ti and it looks pretty solid and right about what I'm looking for. Just gonna check out for a GPU line and see how my power supply will hold up and should be good to go! Stoked!

I don't think dell has used proprietary parts for a while now have they? I thought they broke that habit. Let me do some homework, I'm curious now.

Here are a couple of ppl and their experiences:

the XPS 7100 chassis requires a standard-length (5.9-inch) ATX power supply. Some ATX power supplies, like the OCZ "Fatality" 550-watt, will not fit because they are too long and will overlie the two metal catches in the chassis.
Check the length first before buying an aftermarket power supply for the XPS 7100.

I have an XPS 7100, and successfully upgraded my PSU. I found that Corsair units seem to fit pretty well. The TX650 was tight, but did go in, and provides a nice clean 650watts with a powerful 12v rail. But I think any standard ATX form factor should work. I'm just partial to Corsair.

No, not just any power supply will fit, because the case has two metal catches that fit behind the power supply.
Short of removing the two catches with a grinder or other tool, the power supply needs to be around 5.9 inches in depth.

You'll still need to confirm whether or not your current psu has the power connector going to your GPU. If not, you'll need a new PSU before you can upgrade your GPU.

You'll still need to confirm whether or not your current psu has the power connector going to your GPU. If not, you'll need a new PSU before you can upgrade your GPU.

Well, yeah, that was my emphasis. The current PSu is designed for that machine, with GPU's containing power connectors most likely not supported.

Secondly, depending on the model (as you investigated :) ) it may not be standard ATX form factor! Seems like in OP's case, he may be in luck on upgradeablity.

Back