Upgrading Video Cards

Status
Not open for further replies.

drspb

I need to upgrade my Son's video card so he can run certain games. Currently installed in the AGP slot is NVIDIA 5200 125M ram unit, just purchased a Radion 256m card which fits into the AGP slot, the fan runs but no output to screen. The computer gives a long beep followed by 2 short beeps. Any Ideas.

1 long beep followed by 2 short ones usually indicates a video error. What BIOS / Mobo do you have?

You can use a program called CPU-Z or Everest to determine this. Anyhow, the problem is a likely with the video card. Does the nVidia 5200 run without any issues?

Could you please send me a link to the video card you purchased and to the nVidia you're currently using? And also do post the make of your motherboard after using CPU-Z.

I have a feeling that your new card is defective. You should try installing it on another computer having a working AGP slot to check.

Can't post links seems I need 5 posts first, can you let me have your email and I'll email to you

Don't have a link to the NVIDIA 5200, bought it second hand 2yrs ago when I upgraded the pc for my son then.

Can you at least tell me what brand the nVidia gfx card is? As in XFX / eVGA / Palit? Then I'll try to locate that and compare it to the new card.

From what I see, your new card is stated to have a PCI interface. Could you try putting it into a PCI slot on the mobo and check. Do that and let me know.

Actually, it shouldn't be so. You say that your card does fit into the AGP slot. Then it could not possibly be a PCI card although on that link it's stated to have a PCI interface.

Hi, the card fits into AGP slot no problem and the onboard fan operates, just get the beeps from the computer and nothing on screen.

I think the best bet for you would be to try the card on another PC. If this problem persists then you should RMA the card.

Another thing, did you remove the old nVidia graphics drivers before putting in the new card?

I don't have another pc to try the card in, Do you think the card is defective and I should return it

Absolutely essential. First (while the nVidia card is still in the computer) uninstall all nVidia drivers and reboot. Shut down the PC and replace your nVidia with the ATI. Startup and install the ATI drivers. That should work.

Let us know once you're done.

Hi didn't work and now the previous card is not working, put old card back but nothing on screen. Any ideas how to solve this.

Thanks

What exactly did you do? When installing a new graphics card the following steps are to be followed:

1. If you have an existing video card, first uninstall all it's drivers.
2. Remove the old card and seat the new one in its place.
3. Start up the PC with your monitor plugged into the new video card. Once Windows says that new hardware has been detected, install your new drivers that come with your card / downloaded by you.
4. Restart your PC.

**In BIOS make sure you have Primary Display Adapter set to the correct interface (AGP / PCI / PCI-E / Onboard, whichever the case may be).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back