US says North Korea was "directly responsible" for WannaCry ransomware

midian182

Staff member

Back in May, one of the biggest ransomware attacks in history took place: WannaCry. 300,000 devices across almost 150 countries around the world were infected, and while several security agencies, Microsoft, and the UK said North Korea was responsible, the US never publicly attributed the attack to anyone—until now. Unsurprisingly, it also blames Kim Jong-un’s regime.

In an op-ed piece for the Wall Street Journal, Donald Trump’s homeland security advisor, Tom Bossert, wrote: “The attack was widespread and cost billions, and North Korea is directly responsible.”

While the UK had said that it was “all but certain” North Korea was behind the attack, this is the first time the US has pointed the finger of blame. Bossert said those responsible would be held accountable for their actions.

The Trump administration believes “with a very high level of confidence” that the Lazarus Group, the hackers working at the behest of the North Korean government, was behind WannaCry. It was also responsible for the Sony hack in 2014, the $80 million Bangladesh Bank heist in 2016, and recent attacks on workers at Bitcoin companies.

“As we make the internet safer, we will continue to hold accountable those who harm or threaten us, whether they act alone or on behalf of criminal organizations or hostile nations,” wrote Bossert.

“North Korea has acted especially badly, largely unchecked, for more than a decade, and its malicious behavior is growing more egregious. WannaCry was indiscriminately reckless.”

Soon after the WannaCry attack, Simon Choi, a senior researcher with Hauri who has studied North Korea’s hacking program extensively, said he believed it was linked to the hermit nation. "It is similar to North Korea's backdoor malicious codes," he explained, adding that the country has been developing and testing ransomware since August 2016.

Pyongyang has called the links “ridiculous,” and repeatedly denied it had anything to do with WannaCry. It also said that the UK’s earlier accusations were a “wicked attempt” to tighten international sanctions on the country.

The White House is expected to give an official statement blaming North Korea on Tuesday.

Permalink to story.

"Donald Trump’s homeland security advisor"

Stopped reading after this, I don't believe anything he or hes associates say. After this statement I believe it's either US or Russia who made the attack. Haven't heard them spout nothing but lies so it's the opposite of what they say. There's no facts anymore just propaganda.

Stopped reading after this, I don't believe anything he or hes associates say. After this statement I believe it's either US or Russia who made the attack. Haven't heard them spout nothing but lies so it's the opposite of what they say. There's no facts anymore just propaganda.

It was Russia.

It was Russia.
Proof?

The way everything was written in English in the message.

Sure. We guarantee that you can recover all your files safely and easily. But you have not so enough time.
The bold letters at the end translate into Russian as:
"Но у вас недостаточно времени."

From the security briefing I received a few years back, calling it a WMD might not be too far off the mark depending upon how you see it. It has been proven a number of times independently that an entire electrical grid would be vulnerable and let's not forget the day 20 years ago the Chinese took down the entire internet for over an hour, then bragged about it. We planted the stuxnet virus in the N. Korean's nuclear program and brought it to it's knees for a number of years. The capability is certainly there and many reliable sources in the US, not affiliated with any particular party have been warning about this for years.

32" Vizio TV driven from a 4 year old Lenovo laptop - I didn't realize that they only had one system. Wonder if OS is XP.

Also wonder what the binoculars are for - tiny fonts?

From the security briefing I received a few years back, calling it a WMD might not be too far off the mark depending upon how you see it. It has been proven a number of times independently that an entire electrical grid would be vulnerable and let's not forget the day 20 years ago the Chinese took down the entire internet for over an hour, then bragged about it. We planted the stuxnet virus in the N. Korean's nuclear program and brought it to it's knees for a number of years. The capability is certainly there and many reliable sources in the US, not affiliated with any particular party have been warning about this for years.
And yet 45's promises of improving US infrastructure remain unfulfilled...

Back