US to send text messages about national emergencies

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

Mobile phone owners will soon receive text warnings about severe weather and other crises, according to Alcatel-Lucent. The communications company revealed plans this week to create a Broadcast Message Center (BMC) that will let government agencies send text messages about local, state or national emergencies -- not unlike the Emergency Broadcast System that is used to transmit alerts over the television.

Given the nature of mobile tech, you're bound to have a phone in your pocket, but you may not be near a TV in a state of emergency, so it's easier to instantly reach the masses via text messages than older mediums.

Messages will be geographically-targeted and will include less-than-catastrophic occurrences such as road closures or traffic accidents. That could get annoying, so you'll be able opt out of receiving those types of messages. However, warnings about national security, natural disasters and other such matters will be sent to everyone.

Permalink to story.

It could be good for southerns states, especially when hurricanes come through. Or for texting kids in northern states when schools are closed due to snow storms. Not a bad idea.

What if I'm uninterested in receiving such messages no matter how big of an emergency? I'd want the ability to unsubscribe from such a service.

Your not interested in knowing if your going to die??

I guess that leaves more room on the planet for the smarter ones...

I heard a similar story a while back about Israel sending text messages to its citizens whenever there is an emergency and / or a rocket directed at it. Huh..

I think its a pretty good idea actually, as long as its used for the right reasons.

Hurricane, tornado and state emergencies would seem worthwhile, especially tornadoes as I know they can appear and cause widespread damage extremely quickly.

However, I can't help but wonder how usable the network would actually be in some situations, especially if Hurricane's and tornadoes are destroying infrastructure as they run on through...

This sounds like a really good idea....Britain should take notice on this. Maybe the met office with the flooding and stormy weather would be a good idea.

I'm trying to decide whether I like this or not. I suppose it makes sense given today's reliance on cell phones. But we are already inundated with communications via computer, radio and TV. Does it have to be on our cell phones too? Definitely not the road closure stuff, for sure.

I guess as long as it doesn't get too crazy I'll be fine with it.

The system gets hacked by Faux News, and you receive this message:
"Urgent-NATIONAL EMERGENCY!!! OBAMA IS LITERALLY DESTROYING OUR NATION! Watch Glen Beck tonight to find out how your investment in Gold line can SAVE AMERIKA!!!!"

"Torenaydoez Iz Roaring Ur Townz En Ripping Ur Roovz Off. Iz Crayzee Outside. U Nawt Can Go Out Tewdai. Diz Haz Been A Nashunulz Eemergensee Broadcastz Messugz"

I'm assuming standard texting rates don't apply since this is for emergencies? In any case, this can be pretty useful especially for major weather changes like Tornadoes. Of course this could also be amazing when someone hacks into it and sends out messages about Zombies like Card mentioned. Kinda like this: [LINK]

Yeah funny they should come up with something like this after the state of michigan put up a big display that they can update with travel info and what not to as they need to, even at a $800,000 Price tag for the equipment and install and one lane being closed for a month, I am so glad that I know how long it takes to get from Muskegon to Grand Haven even after driving between for 15 years...

Back