US visas now demand social media details

Bubbajim

Staff
What just happened? The Trump administration is bringing in new rules first proposed in March 2018, whereby visa applicants must hand over details of any social media channels they have, as well as any email addresses and phone numbers from the last five years.

One of the major platforms that President Trump was elected on was reducing immigration to the US. While little has been done so far to bring down the number of people coming to the country, new changes have been made to empower immigration officials when screening applications.

As of Friday, almost all visa applications now must include a person’s social media profile information, plus email addresses and phone numbers from the last five years. Exceptions will only be made for a few types of diplomatic and official visa requests.

Until now, social media information has only been a requirement on visa applications from people who needed ‘additional vetting’, meaning people who have been to suspicious or coming from hostile territories like Syria, Iraq or North Korea.

People applying for a visa will have to give details of any accounts they have on a predetermined list of major social platforms, though in the future other smaller sites will be included, too.

Speaking to Hill.TV, a Department of State official said, "social media can be a major forum for terrorist sentiment and activity. This will be a vital tool to screen out terrorists, public safety threats, and other dangerous individuals from gaining immigration benefits and setting foot on U.S. soil."

While some have expressed concerns that this is an invasion of privacy, to me it seems more like making official a practice that undoubtedly happened anyway. Any investigation into who a person is and what they believe – whether for a new job or in this case entry to a country – would likely include checks on social media. This move will likely just make it easier for immigration officials to find people’s profiles.

The State official added that there would be “serious immigration consequences” for anyone found to be lying about their social presence.

Permalink to story.

This is for very dumb terrorists that call to kill the infidels and forget to erase that from their
muslim facebook.
I guess. But also wouldn't it be nice to screen out people who are just anti-American? Sometimes you look through a person's page and see nothing but hatred for the country they migrate to. Ever read Ilhan Omar tweets?

Anything that adds additional screens, filters, discriminates or delays processing time is a huge win for US citizens. Not only does it add to would-be outsourcing employer flustration, but it also creates more opportunities for legal citizens. I'm all for it.

Coming to the United States is a privilege, not a right. It has nothing to do with discrimination, and everything to do with national security. I'm completely fine with this. By the way, forums like this can be considered social media as well.

Coming to the United States is a privilege, not a right. It has nothing to do with discrimination, and everything to do with national security. I'm completely fine with this. By the way, forums like this can be considered social media as well.
“Give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.
Send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed to me,
I lift my lamp beside the golden door!”

Oh, I guess you really proved me wrong there. /Sarcasm

I knew this was coming one day, and here we are.

No FB, Twitter, line, WeChat, LinkedIn, etc for me.

I have a cellphone, an email address, and a Skype account.

If you can't be my friend without all that Face-space nonsence, then maybe you are not friend-worthy in the first place.

Well, when you personally are ready to take in the people who the US has "falsely imprisoned", and any of that "wretched refuse" of some other country's "teeming shores", into your home, feed them, cloth them, provide them with health care and allow them to have huge bags of fertilizer sent to your address, then, and only then, do you get to proclaim the US as, "hypocritical", for not following the letter of a hundred plus year old overly idealistic poem.

As I've observed before, a great many of the people from other countries join Techspot to hate on, criticize, and condemn the US, either on principle, or because they think they could run it better than it is at present.

Which bespeaks the question, then why do so many seek "asylum here"? So, our form of government, as lousy as you apparently think it is, is better than near 100% of the others on the planet.

IMO, they need to overthrow their own damned dictators, and do it on their own, without US money, troops, and weapons. Not happening? Then we're not as bad as you think we are.

In this case I am volunteering to jeopardize my chances of going to US, by revealing a state-held secret that Trump is an idi0t. That's right, that's idi0t with a zero in it.
That Trump is an "idi0t", is hardly a "state held secret".. His own party is well aware of it. They only play along with him because he was able to get their party members in control, and elected.

Anything that adds additional screens, filters, discriminates or delays processing time is a huge win for US citizens. Not only does it add to would-be outsourcing employer flustration, but it also creates more opportunities for legal citizens. I'm all for it.

Many countries citizens requires visa for holidays. I have friends from some European countries who would like to go to Yellowstone, or grand canyon, or las Vegas and enjoy being a tourist. Visa is needed for that too. And now if the process is more tedious it might actually make them consider being a tourists in I don't know, China. Not very beneficial for US businesses.

If they are not a citizen, give them an ankle monitor and let them go. You know one that records everything while they are visiting. I would understand having to wear one, when visited other countries.

This is extremely dangerous and bordering on Fascism.

But there's always a solution.

I just use fake accounts.

One account: Linkedin is for my professional inquiries.

My others are for various levels of trolling.

The key is never to allow any one to any how become connected to the others.

No one is illegal on stolen land.
Every empire in recorded history is built on "stolen land". As an American yourself, why latch onto currently fashionable, hipster , Muslim, and trying to appear knowledgeable haters of the US from elsewhere's, dogmatic propaganda?

Or, are you just trolling?

Or, do you really hate the US, but its money is well green enough to suit your taste?

To pick fights at a tech site, with regurgitated far left wing propaganda, is sort of tragic and desperate. (IMO, of course)

Last edited:
In this case I am volunteering to jeopardize my chances of going to US, by revealing a state-held secret that Trump is an idi0t. That's right, that's idi0t with a zero in it.
That Trump is an "idi0t", is hardly a "state held secret".. His own party is well aware of it. They only play along with him because he was able to get their party members in control, and elected.
For an idi0t he seems to be doing pretty well for himself.

I wonder if they will do the same thing for Americans who want to leave the country. I wonder if they will eventually back track their social media, emails and check on every post\comment they ever made across the web associated with their emails. NSA style, sorry they won't be fooled by a side account lol. Banning racists, people who practice religious persecution, anti gay, anti trans or the case of Saudi Arabia pro gay, pro equal rights for woman.

Back