US warns that it could cut intelligence ties with the UK if it uses Huawei's 5G tech

midian182

Staff member
What just happened? We know that the US doesn’t trust Huawei, and it doesn’t want its allies using the Chinese firm’s equipment in their 5G networks. The American government has already threatened to cut intelligence ties with Germany if it ignores this advice, and it is now warning the UK and other western nations that they could face the same fate.

Back in November last year, months after US government agencies and contractors had been banned from using certain tech from Huawei and other Chinese companies, the US reportedly advised allied countries not to use Huawei’s 5G equipment. Any that disagreed could see their intelligence sharing with the US limited.

The UK is one country that doesn’t see Huawei in the same light as America. The nation said it believes it can manage the risks from using the firm's equipment, and a recent leak revealed it was ready for Huawei to provide it with “non-core” infrastructure—something the US says will not protect it from security risks.

As reported by The Guardian, Robert Strayer, a deputy assistant secretary at the US Department of State, said that the US “will have to reassess our ability to share be interconnected and share information” if Huawei is deployed by the UK or other western countries. With the statement coming so soon after the leak, it’s assumed to be directed at the United Kingdom.

Strayer said that nations using Huawei technology in their communications networks risk handing China “a loaded gun.” The US has long accused the firm of spying on behalf of China’s government without any concrete evidence, and a recent CIA report claims it is funded by the country’s state security.

Permalink to story.

Hilarious considering the UK is already very uncomfortable sharing Intel with us. The reason? Trump can't keep his big mouth shut and keep a secret! So that is a toothless threat by US intelligence Agencies. The UK probably snickering over there and saying who gives a F?

If ever the phrase 'cutting your nose off to spite your face' was applicable, this is it.

..They should be more worried about the prospect of that POS, Jeremy Corbyn and his hard left Marxist goon squad getting into 10 Downing Street, rather than anything Huawei are up to.

Hilarious considering the UK is already very uncomfortable sharing Intel with us. The reason? Trump can't keep his big mouth shut and keep a secret! So that is a toothless threat by US intelligence Agencies. The UK probably snickering over there and saying who gives a F?
The good news is that Englanistan will be a third world country soon, so you're right, it wont matter much. Also, Orange Man Bad!

Hypocritical Trump admission at it's finest.

Nothing wrong with Huawei tbh. No more so than any large major corporation who has access to sensitive data.
Wow, a state owned company made by a rival nation puts a magical space rectangle in our pockets known to be used as a tracking device by governments around the world. Now, I'm usually a skeptic, but the price on their devices is so low for the hardware that I don't understand how they're profitable. Aside from being heavily subsidized by china or racking up a massive debt their business model doesn't make any sense.

Last edited:

Nothing wrong with Huawei tbh. No more so than any large major corporation who has access to sensitive data.
Wow, a state owned company made by a rival nation puts a magical space rectangle in our pockets known to be used as a tracking device by governments around the world. Now, I'm usually a skeptic, but the hardware on their devices is so low for the hardware that I don't understand how they're profitable. Aside from being heavily subsidized by china or racking up a massive debt their business model doesn't make any sense.

Aside from the price, I honestly can't figure out why anyone would defend their hardware or software. A friend has to use them for his place of work - but only for now. They've had Huawei network equipment for less than a year, and they're getting rid of it and replacing it with something else, they are so fed up with its performance and usability.

I agree up to a point. I trust Apple even less!! The only difference is that Apple is spying on China as well as the U.S.A.

I would think we would recognize the superior efforts of the British as much as I would hope the British had done their homework on these devices. For whatever reason Scotland Yard and the SAS seem to have been a little off their game in the past years so perhaps we are wise to be a little reluctant to play along ..... ?

Wow, a state owned company made by a rival nation puts a magical space rectangle in our pockets known to be used as a tracking device by governments around the world. Now, I'm usually a skeptic, but the price on their devices is so low for the hardware that I don't understand how they're profitable. Aside from being heavily subsidized by china or racking up a massive debt their business model doesn't make any sense.

We're talking about a president who literally worked with Russia to ensure his opponent wasn't elected while at the same time attacking the FBI at every opportunity. So the whole "foreign nation interference" argument is kinda hollow.

Those who use 5G technology will make president Trump very angry. Please restrain yourself to 4G. Maybe even 3G, just to be sure.

We're talking about a president who literally worked with Russia to ensure his opponent wasn't elected while at the same time attacking the FBI at every opportunity. So the whole "foreign nation interference" argument is kinda hollow.
Fromer and current Chinese politicians are investors in Huawei. I'm not a trump supporter but I'm capable of reading the room. If you believe otherwise I won't waste my time trying to change your mind. All I will say is that I've seen enough to not want to buy their products

Fromer and current Chinese politicians are investors in Huawei. I'm not a trump supporter but I'm capable of reading the room. If you believe otherwise I won't waste my time trying to change your mind. All I will say is that I've seen enough to not want to buy their products
Absolutely, personally I won't buy their stuff. But criticising them while supporting Trump on national security matters is ridiculous.

Absolutely, personally I won't buy their stuff. But criticising them while supporting Trump on national security matters is ridiculous.
I'm not supporting trump. A stopped watch is still right twice a day. I can look at the evidence myself and read the room, it has absolutely nothing to do with trump.

This idea that people ignore facts just because someone they don't like said it is absurd. Where did I say I was a trump supporter? Are you saying that hauwei isn't spying on us because trump said it? And I think you should know, china has been spying on us the same way Russia has FAR BEFORE trump was elected.

I'm not supporting trump. A stopped watch is still right twice a day. I can look at the evidence myself and read the room, it has absolutely nothing to do with trump.

This idea that people ignore facts just because someone they don't like said it is absurd. Where did I say I was a trump supporter? Are you saying that hauwei isn't spying on us because trump said it? And I think you should know, china has been spying on us the same way Russia has FAR BEFORE trump was elected.
What evidence?

Back