USB Hub Lost Power on Startup - Win10

Hey everyone, long story short I have a custom gaming PC that's only about 3 months old running Win10. Every night I power it down and boot up once I'm ready to use it again. However, when I booted it up one day, all of my USB ports were not functioning. Therefore I couldn't log in to my computer or troubleshoot at all. I discovered a PS/2 port on my PC and hooked up a keyboard to it which let me gain access. I ended up booting a restore point from a week prior and everything worked fine once again. This problem became more and more frequent until I decided to reinstall Win10. Even after the reinstalls the issue persisted (mainly after Microsoft updates).

I then thought that my startup disc may be flawed so I formatted a USB with the more current version of Win10 and installed that on the PC. This worked for a few weeks but now I am having the problem yet again. I've tried everything I can think of, but nothing works. I'm inclined to say that it is a software and not hardware issue mainly because the ports stop functioning once Windows begins to load in and they work perfectly fine when in Bios. Has anyone encountered this issue or could give me some possible solution? It would be very much appreciated. If I'm missing any details that may be relevant please let me know. Thank you!

Also here are my specs for reference:

- [6-Port] NZXT Internal USB Expansion System
- Processor 1 x Intel® Core™ i7-6800K Processor (6x 3.40GHz/15MB L3 Cache) - Intel® Core™ i7-6800K w/ Intel Performance Tuning Protection
- Memory 1 x 16 GB [8 GB X2] DDR4-2400 Memory Module - Corsair Vengeance LPX
- Video Card 1 x NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 - 8GB - EVGA Superclocked - Single Card
- Primary Hard Drive 1 x 240 GB Intel 730 Overclocked SSD -- Read: 550MB/s, Wrtie: 470MB/s - Single Drive
- Data Hard Drive 1 x 2 TB HARD DRIVE -- 64MB Cache, 7200rpm, 6.0Gb/s - Single Drive

[6-Port] NZXT Internal USB Expansion System? I do not recognize this item. Can you remove it and test USB ports remaining on motherboard (maker, model?)?

[6-Port] NZXT Internal USB Expansion System? I do not recognize this item. Can you remove it and test USB ports remaining on motherboard (maker, model?)?

I had recently loaded a restore point so at the moment all of my ports are functioning properly. However aside from those 6 ports on the expansion, I have two other USB ports on the top of the PC and when this issue occurs those also do not function properly. That is another reason that I believe this issue to be a software problem.

Interesting question - what could cause perfectly good software to deteriorate over a couple of weeks so that components fail? Malware is one. Failing HDD another. I find it hard to believe that there is a lot of this thing happening...did you find many other reports on the forums?

Interesting question - what could cause perfectly good software to deteriorate over a couple of weeks so that components fail? Malware is one. Failing HDD another. I find it hard to believe that there is a lot of this thing happening...did you find many other reports on the forums?

Unfortunately, I have not found much info on this issue - as for malware, this issue has occurred after fresh OS installations, so I don't think that is the problem. I'm also not inclined to believe it's a HDD problem mainly because this issue mainly arises immediately after a Microsoft OS update.

If your installation media is not 'factory new' or if invader now has passwords, etc, then it could develop as time passes, yes?? If you do not operate behind a router and without strong firewall, you can be invaded and infected in less than 5 minutes. Some installation media installs trial software which is not clean. Unless you are really sure this is not the case, you may want to try BitDefender Rescue CD (free) or similar.

Not sure I understand "this issue mainly arises immediately after a Microsoft OS update". Do you mean that you fix it and then several days later a new Microsoft update starts up the problem out of the blue? Or, what? Perhaps you are saying that you keep re-installing from your OS installation media and then when it registers with Microsoft, it updates and goes wonky again? Not clear to me.

What if any errors in Device Manager or Event Viewer?

It is a computer - a machine. When it fails, it is usually due to some specific action or activity. Being detailed about actions and/or activities preceding the failure is really the only way to begin.

Back