USB Keyboard Issues (Cannot Log In)

Status
Not open for further replies.

suzumebachi

I recently moved, and didn't take a mouse or keyboard with me, instead deciding I should get new ones when I get there (I'd been using the same generic MS keyboard and Razor Boomslang for many a year).

However, my old keyboard was PS/2, and this new one is USB. Windows is completely unresponsive to this keyboard, I'm assuming because it doesn't have drivers for it. But I can't install drivers, because without a keyboard, I can't type in my password to log in. Whoever came up with this idea at MS should be shot.

I know the keyboard works because I can use it to navigate BIOS, and even press F8 to *gasp* boot in Safe Mode. But as soon as the Windows logo pops up, the lights on the keyboard go out and it stops working.

I seem to recall having this problem once before at a LAN party, but I worked around it by using a USB to PS/2 adapter. However, this keyboard doesn't have one.

Anyone know what I can do to fix this problem? Thanks in advance!

Oh, and the OS is Windows XP SP2.

See if you can borrow a PS2 keyboard and get into your computers bios. See if there is a setting for legacy devices and enable this, if it isn't enabled already

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back