USB ports don't work after resetting Windows 10

I recently reset Windows 10 on my friends ASUS desktop. Upon doing this I found that all the USB ports wouldn't work. I went into device manager and tried to update the drivers. Windows failed to do so and no longer recognises the ports and classed them as "Unknown devices". This means I can only navigate the computer using the keyboard. I tried fixing this by downloading a program (Slimdriver free) that can deal with this issue by detecting what's missing and downloading then install them for me, but on the window of said program can't be navigated my keyboard, only mouse, which I can't use. I think I need the ASUS drivers and know the model of motherboard, but do not know which ones to install and in which order. The asus website, to me isn't very helpful. And without a mouse I dunno what to do. I really need to get this sorted and need help. Can anyone save my bacon?

" Windows tried to download and install the drivers, but installation fails. "

Any specific message? Any 'error' in Event Viewer?

Could there be missing bit of Windows 10 updates?

I once found that I needed to 'display hidden devices' in Device Manager - in order to remove them so that new install would work.

" Windows tried to download and install the drivers, but installation fails. "

Could there be missing bit of Windows 10 updates?

I once found that I needed to 'display hidden devices' in Device Manager - in order to remove them so that new install would work.

Tried to update windows, said it was upto date. And how would I view hidden devices?

If you know how to go into the bios, see if usb is enabled in the bios settings. If it is you might need to flash the bios to the latest version since you reset windows 10. And what do you mean when you reset windows 10? Did you do it with a dvd software disk or did you do it with the pc restore function of the pc or whatever the manufacturer calls it.

If you know how to go into the bios, see if usb is enabled in the bios settings. If it is you might need to flash the bios to the latest version since you reset windows 10. And what do you mean when you reset windows 10? Did you do it with a dvd software disk or did you do it with the pc restore function of the pc or whatever the manufacturer calls it.

I used the restore option in windows. no disk or usb was used.

"I used the restore option in windows. no disk or usb was used."
I guess this means the restore was successful. That should have included basic USB drivers from Microsoft.

"Tried to update windows, said it was upto date."
I guess this means Win10 updates are all current and successfully installed.

"Windows tried to download and install the drivers, but installation fails. "

I use the generic Microsoft drivers (mouclass.sys & mouhid.sys) for my mouse which is connected to USB Input Device which in turn is defined to the system with 3 drivers supplied by Microsoft as part of Windows 10.

I am puzzled about the need to install special drivers. Is the mouse special (like a 15 button gamer mouse)?

I once had a similar problem...and I removed all devices, including 'hidden' (mouse / keyboard / USB / HID). When I restarted the PnP took over and as it identified each device, it reinstalled the drivers. I went from 16 devices to 5, so I guess some were unnecessary.

Check to see if there are ps2 ports at the back of the tower. If there are plug in an old type mouse. These are widely available and if you don't have one you could buy one for practically nothing.
You must have had a reason to try and reset Windows 10 so what was wrong with the computer before you started experimenting?

Hi I also have just reset windows 10 on my desktop now windows starts goes into the set up screen to which country you are in, the only problem is that the usb don't work for the mouse or keyboard so cannot go any further tried turning it off and back on again but to no effect.Any help please.

Back