USB ports have gone dead

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello All,

My son was in the process of updating his USB drivers to install an xpert-tv device and in doing so all of his USB ports went dead. I have read many of the existing posts and the difference we are experiencing is we do have no other way of connecting a keyboard or mouse to the computer other than USB, no ps/2 ports at all. I have tried rebooting in safe mode, accessing the BIOS but the computer does not respond to any keyboard commands.

Unfortunately the only thing I can tell you about the computer is it's a DELL I can't even give you the model# at this point.

How can I gain control of the computer to do any problem solving at all? My first thought was to purchase a PCI card with ps/2 ports but not sure if that will work.

Does anyone have any thoughts at all?

Appreciate all your help inadvance.

are you sure its a dell with no ps2 ports?

That in itself has left me confused.... i have NEVER seen a dell without them (desktop of course....)

I was able to pull the specs off of the Dell Website and it's a dimension 5100. Below is a list of the external connectors...

External connectors:

Video
15-hole connector

Network adapter
RJ-45 connector

USB
two front-panel and five back-panel USB 2.0-compliant connectors

Audio
five connectors for line-in, line-out, microphone/ side-surround, surround, and center/subwoofer connector (LFE channel); two front-panel connectors for headphones and microphone

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back