USB ports unresponsive

Forrest137

Im having problems with my USB ports not working at all. Anything I try to plug into them doesnt work, except for this one PNY 1GB flashdrive. not even my external hard drive, or a mouse, or a keyboard or anything. I dont know if what I need is to update drivers or what, but it baffles me that one flashdrive will work, but lots of other things wont.

much appreciation to anyone that can help me.

two things come to mind

1. i've seen this trick work on occasion (tho was for cases where no ports / no devices worked). But easy to try so give it a shot. Shutdown computer. Disconnect AC cord. Remove battery if laptop. Let it sit overnight to discharge power. Then plug in, power up and see if any diff

2. Also try [post=751005]How to Reinstall Your USB Controllers and Motherboard Chipset Drivers[/post]

When I ran device manager and tried to uninstall the usb controllers, my entire computer froze for a looooong time. I had to force power off. So I dont know what I can do now. I think I need to update to WINXP SP3 to be able to fix it, but im at a loss. also my cd drive and dvd drive dont work either.

any ideas?

thanks

Do the Windows update

Try Autorun Protector (requires .NET 2.0) and clear your mountpoints. HTH

download it here

HTH - Hope that helps

Take it from Leeky: Learn to use google, instead of asking and waiting for a reply hours later do a search, read and you'll have your answers.

mountpoints? - google it or what ever search engine you are using

Back