USB WiFi not connecting

jalba

Hi,

I connected a new USB wifi dongle to my PC. It connects to the router signal, but no internet.

However, when I connect my phone to the PC, and USB tether it, I connect to the router signal and get internet just fine.

What might be the reason for this?

Usually the DNS does not get filled in. You can always add a pair manually

Two well respected dns servers that anyone can use anywhere in the world are:
add these to your router or at lease to the WiFi device settings.

Two well respected dns servers that anyone can use anywhere in the world are:
add these to your router or at lease to the WiFi device settings.

Do I use ipv4 or 6?

Also asks for IP address, subnet prefix length, gateway.

I tried 192.168.0.14 (ip address), 255.255.255.0 (sub) 192.168.0.1 (gate) and 8.8.8.8,bu still saying "no internet". This was done on both IPv4 and 6

Last edited:
Do I use ipv4 or 6?

Also asks for IP address, subnet prefix length, gateway.

I tried 192.168.0.14 (ip address), 255.255.255.0 (sub) 192.168.0.1 (gate) and 8.8.8.8,bu still saying "no internet". This was done on both IPv4 and 6

NO! Let DHCP configure the IP setting while you do the DNS.

Secondly, you can disable IPv6 --home users don't need it at all

I went into Adapter options, right clicked on the WiFi, then into properties, then ipv4 properties.

Left the IP automatic, and entered in the DNS, and hit ok.

Still nothing.

@Cycloid Torus ummm if you are trying ti say that if I want to connect to the WIFI that I have to enter a password, well then yes that was done. And as I stated from the very start, I am connected to the WIFI but no internet is available.

You are telling me that WiFi works for you. So you can reach the router at 192.168.0.1 from your system using the USB dongle and you can interact with the router setup (entering password, getting a handshake from the router).

If you can do all that, but the router will not give you access to the internet, then it would be a router problem? Maybe router needs reboot? (Honest, I have solved dozens of problems over the decades by making sure connections are firm and cold booting to force a full initialization.)

You are telling me that WiFi works for you. So you can reach the router at 192.168.0.1 from your system using the USB dongle and you can interact with the router setup (entering password, getting a handshake from the router).

If you can do all that, but the router will not give you access to the internet, then it would be a router problem? Maybe router needs reboot? (Honest, I have solved dozens of problems over the decades by making sure connections are firm and cold booting to force a full initialization.)
I do not get access when I try to reach the router; tells me that the site cannot be reached.

Jalba said, "I do not get access when I try to reach the router; tells me that the site cannot be reached."
I could translate that to mean: 'when I input as a site address 192.168.0.1 in my browser, I do not reach the router and I am not offered an opportunity to enter a password to access router settings.' Is that what you mean?

OR I could translate what you said to mean: "you can reach the router at 192.168.0.1 from your system using the USB dongle and you can interact with the router setup (entering password, getting a handshake from the router), but when you try to access the internet through the router, then you are advised that the site (Google, etc) is not reachable because...{please review the link and identify your error.. https://www.lifewire.com/troubleshooting-network-error-messages-4102727 }

Jalba said, "I do not get access when I try to reach the router; tells me that the site cannot be reached."
I could translate that to mean: 'when I input as a site address 192.168.0.1 in my browser, I do not reach the router and I am not offered an opportunity to enter a password to access router settings.' Is that what you mean? THIS IS CORRECT

OR I could translate what you said to mean: "you can reach the router at 192.168.0.1 from your system using the USB dongle and you can interact with the router setup (entering password, getting a handshake from the router), but when you try to access the internet through the router, then you are advised that the site (Google, etc) is not reachable because...{please review the link and identify your error.. https://www.lifewire.com/troubleshooting-network-error-messages-4102727 }

Translated means: 'when I input as a site address 192.168.0.1 in my browser, I do not reach the router and I am not offered an opportunity to enter a password to access router settings.' Is that what you mean? You answered: "THIS IS CORRECT"

Locate manual for router. Using a wired connection, access the settings - this requires a password which is probably the default listed in the manual (which may also be available via Google). Change password to something you will remember. Using a password which someone can get from Google is not secure.

Once into the router, follow manual for the several steps needed to turn on radio, set type of secure connection, password for that connection. Now go to your system with the dongle. Try to connect with dongle. It should allow you to see various WiFi connections. Find the one for your router. Then confirm same setup information using dongle.

I gather you are saying that you can connect to the router using the dongle, but there is no internet beyond the router, except you believe there is internet beyond the router because you can reach it through connecting your phone to the PC, and USB tether it,

OK, lets say the PC to internet is via phone and not the router so the router is the problem - and that your connection to the internet via your phone did not involve the router at all.

Let's test.. Can you connect to the internet from PC's NIC to the router with a wired connection using RJ45?

Cycloid, the router is upstairs, while my PC is downstairs, so I will be unable to run the RJ45.

"OK, lets say the PC to internet is via phone and not the router so the router is the problem - and that your connection to the internet via your phone did not involve the router at all. " I am not following this statement.

Purpose is simple - to test direct wired connection through router and modem to your ISP and then to the internet.

If too difficult to move system & router nearer to each other, may I humbly suggest that you borrow or buy a long RJ45 wire for this purpose. Or, perhaps, there is another system (notebook, laptop, etc) which you can directly connect and use to confirm that a direct connection of system to router then reaches modem and the ISP (internet). If that does not work, then try a direct wired connection of system to modem (then to ISP and then to internet).

Since we have come so far, I think I have to ask for a detailed description of the full inventory of systems, modem and router (maker, model, etc) and just how they are connected including wires and ports to which wires are attached (WAN, LAN1, LAN2, etc) - as something here is missing or misinterpreted.

Hi, I ended up getting my own net package, so not bothering to fix this issue again.

Thanks for all your suggestions though.

Back