Using a USB flash drive to bypass your own Windows 7 startup password

ThrasherFan22

I have a question for the TechSpot community! Now, I believe the first place I got this idea (bypassing the startup security lock on my own computer by using a USB flash drive stick) was from watching the first Iron Man with Robert Downey Jr. when his assistant bypasses security on his work office computer by using a USB drive.

My question is how it is possible to do this, WITHOUT going into my Windows 7 files and change it to where Win7 boots up only when the drive is inserted into a port. I would really, REALLY prefer to ONLY be able to bypass the initial security.

With that said, I'm not looking for some way to bypass anyones computer security, only my own. Essentially, no one can get into my computer without having my flash drive inserted.

Just as an example, by using Google, I found this page.

http://www.torrent-invites.com/misc...-your-pc-usb-drive-network-security-more.html

Don't let the "torrent" part of the page address scare you. If you don't wish to follow the link, all it is is the instructions to make Windows only boot up with your USB drive inserted as an example to show what I DON'T want.

Any help is greatly appreciated, as having that extra security on the computer I use for business is ALWAYS nice

-ThrasherFan22

I don't think that's possible. Watching someone do it in a movie won't change my mind.
I'm curious about if this is possible too though.

The way I would do it is use a password changer.

Use a password changer that you can load on a CD and load it before windows boots up. The password Changer would then search the registry from the .SAM etc. files and reveal the password allowing you to either change it.

The way I would do it is use a password changer.

Use a password changer that you can load on a CD and load it before windows boots up. The password Changer would then search the registry from the .SAM etc. files and reveal the password allowing you to either change it.

So essentially, I could make a default password with completely random numbers and letters, and then when you have this password changer program inserted in your disk drive, a totally random password is generated internally but is also given to you due to having the disk inserted?

Interesting post, thank you :)

I don't think that accomplishes what you're aiming for.
I believe what he means is to boot up using the flash drive, then let you change the password. You'd have to reboot into windows 7 afterwards, and then enter the new password.

So essentially, I could make a default password with completely random numbers and letters, and then when you have this password changer program inserted in your disk drive, a totally random password is generated internally but is also given to you due to having the disk inserted?

Interesting post, thank you :)

Yes you can do this if you want but if what you want to do is what hellokitty said then you have to use an application that is built in to windows 7. The link below shows you how to do it.

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/windows7/ht/password-reset-disk-windows-7.htm

Back