Using an HD TV as a computer monitor

StateGuy

I'm trying to use my 52" LG (1080p, 120Mhz) as the monitor for my computer. When using HDMI on my Nvidia GeForce GTS 250 on "1080p x 1920 x 1080 (native)", the screen is centered about an inch too far down and to the left. When I used the NVidia tools to adjust the screensize, it resets to 800 x 600.

With that said, the image is much clearer in 800 x 600 (when in the larger version, it seems a little fuzzy or something).

Driver version - 8.17.12.5896
Driver date - 7/9/2010

Thoughts?

You need to know the "native" resolution of your TV and that is what you should use for your resolution. You should then open a window on your TV screen and maximaize it. The Nvidia control panel has a way to adjust the image to move or resize to make it fit correctly. I am not at home (where I have my TV) but I know I did the adjustment through the nvidia control panel.

probably a frequency issue...go into the CHANGE RESOLUTION menu of nvidia control panel and change the refresh rate to 120hz...if that doesnt fix it, then go to the menu of your tv and look for pc adjustment or something, like in my bravia theres an auto adjust for pc input which automatically corrects the phaze etc of the image.....even if that doesnt work, go back to the nvidia control panel in change resolution Section, click customize,then click Create custom resolution , click TIMING ,then in STANDARD: try all the different options....one of them will fix ur problem

You need to know the "native" resolution of your TV and that is what you should use for your resolution. You should then open a window on your TV screen and maximaize it. The Nvidia control panel has a way to adjust the image to move or resize to make it fit correctly. I am not at home (where I have my TV) but I know I did the adjustment through the nvidia control panel.

That did it! Thanks! :)

Now... does anyone know why I can't get my sound to play through the HDMI cable? Is it something with the video card or could there be a sound setting in Windows I need to set for HDMI use?

I gave up on trying to get my TV to reproduce my sound though the HDMI. In fact when I play something through the video card to the TV all I get is static. I turn down the volume on the TV and use the sound from the PC. That does not mean it can't be done.

Check the following
1. The nvidia control panel
2. Windows control panel, sound and audio devices
3. Playback software such as PowerDVD or WinDVD

Edit: Now that I think about it... you have to hook up the sound from your motherboard to your video card. It should come with that cable, I know mine did.. I did not bother with it, which is why it does not work.. The reason I did not bother with it is because I am using the TV's tuner for watching TV and I use the PC sound for videos (DVD's, BluRay's). I ran my PC's sound to a surround sound receiver.

I would be interested to see if you can make it work. Please post back if you do.. Thanks

Hi people just bought a vga to vga cable and discoverd my hdtv dosent have a vga slot anyone know if it could be hidden or is my tv ****! , or anyone know the best place to get a vga to hdmi cable . thanks

I have been thinking about trying this out. I currently have a 22" monitor but my 52" television is rather inviting. My card is a Radeon 5850 - will this be able to push the image to my TV? I don't really want to do this if it's going to be too taxing on the card.

Zilpha Your 5850 can do way more than what you want to do with it. it will be just fine. its not the size in inches that matter, its the resolution of the display.

Thanks for the info Dustin! I'll have to check - the TV isn't exactly new, but it does have an HDMI port that I use with my Ps3. The Ps3 works fine, so I guess the 5850 will too. Thanks again, looks like I have a fun new project for this weekend :)

Hi people just bought a vga to vga cable and discoverd my hdtv dosent have a vga slot anyone know if it could be hidden or is my tv ****! , or anyone know the best place to get a vga to hdmi cable . thanks

There are tons of places online, not sure about stores though. Your best bet for that would be a local computer specialty store (check your local phone book, or Google) or Best Buy.

This is so weird my hdtv dont have a vga port my laptop dosent have a hdmi or dvi port that im aware of at least the cable was only 3 pound, is there no way the vga to hdmi will get me a picture on my tv without a converter.

Back