Using Comodo, now get all kinds of new alerts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

macx

Switched to Comodo, now I'm getting all kinds of new alerts I never got before and which I don't have a clue about. Especially whether to allow deny.

They mostly deal one way or another with some parent application doing something or other, sometimes it sounds like the parent app is not on the computer itself but elsewhere, not sure of that though.

One of the first ones I allowed was for Word - the alert said it was a safe app and all that. Well, messed up Word so bad it was unuseable, fought with it for several hours before I finally found where I could change that rule to deny that particular thing, then Word worked OK again.

So I'm prettyhesitant to just allow all these things about parent applications, but then I find that some things don't work if I don't do that.

Why did those things start showing up all of a sudden when I started using Comodo, and how do I tell which ones I want to allow and which ones will cause me problems like the Word one did? It's probly the Comodo firewall doing this? I liked the ZA firewall much better! This has been nothing but problems and window after window to deal with when I just want to go in and simply do something like I used to be able to do. May just have to go back to ZA if there isn't a simple solution.

Thanks for any enlightenment.

No simple solution
You must learn how all these settings and alerts and "parent" directories work, by reading through the manual (usually online)

It literally took me months to know what's what when I first started !
Pretty sure these days it's just a matter of reading what everything does

Or go back to ZA ;) Or just use Windows firewall (probably best option)

Actually yes, just use Windows Firewall

Is Windows firewall any good, though? Isn't that kind of like using IE and Outlook as far as attracting the hackers of the world?

I really don't have the time or energy to invest "months" to learn Comodo when there are others that work as well. And just by installing them and basically not having to do anything more once the short learning process is done.

I work 11 hours a nite, either 6 or 7 days a week, 6 hours away from home, so my time is precious to say the least.

And I do have other interests.

But thanks anyway. I might just try the other firewall listed in those 8 steps, or go back to just the ZA firewall. I previously had the entire ZA suite which worked great for some time, then started acting up and giving me fits on all kinds of things. Then had the nightmare of trying to uninstall it! What a mess. Was fortunate to have a kind expert on this forum walk me thru the laborious confusing task of really getting rid of all of it.

Where does it say this can't be easy?

Thanks!

Windows firewall is excellent
Too much hype on personal firewalls
Give it a try, and you won't look back

By the way IE is presently having kinda of a bug (spyware issue), best to put security up high, until MS inevitably resolve it. Otherwise use Firefox

Windows firewall is excellent
Give it a try, and you won't look back
Learn something every day. I'll do that, thanks!

By the way IE is presently having kinda of a bug (spyware issue), and the surprise IS? ;-) Otherwise use Firefox All the way - never have used IE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back