Using laptop as a wireless modem for wifi uses

abbasi

Hello all,

I use an ADSL for Internet. The modem is wiry (not wireless). I plug the Ethernet cable from that modem into my laptop for accessing Internet. Everything until now is OK. But I want use the Internet on my cell phone as well. For it I need to use the wifi card of the laptop, this time, as a sender, for wifi Internet accessing for the cell phone!

1- Is it possible?
2- If yes, How to configure that card please?

Thanks.

What kind of phone do you have? If you have wifi, I don't understand why you can't go into the wifi setting on your phone, find wifi & amongst other possible networks should be yours.
Or just get the manual for it , online if need be & go for it. Good luck. :)

Learninmypc: If I'm reading the OP right, he's asking if it's possible to use the laptop as a wireless router, basically, and then use the wifi network created that way to connect to with his cell.

abbasi: If I understand what you're asking correctly, I don't think it's possible, but I could be wrong. :)

You are right Pot.
Dear guys, I said the ADSL modem is wiry. How to connect the Ethernet cable to the cell phone!? And that was why I thought about a way to use the laptop as a receiver of the Internet (by the Ethernet cable from the modem) and also a sender of Internet (by, say its wireless card, to the environment around itself) so that cell phone can use that wifi service (provided by laptop).

I do not think you can use the laptop as a wireless "connector" between your phone and your modem. My suggestion would be to buy an inexpensive wireless router and connect that to your ADSL modem and then you can use your phone and laptop without either being connected by a wire. You can find plenty of inexpensive wireless routers all over the internet (depending on your location). If you would like suggestions for wireless routers, please provide us with what country you are located in and what stores / internet sites you normally buy computer electronics from.

Are you on windows7 or higher?
Open CMD as an admin.
Type:
netsh wlan set hostednetwork mode=allow ssid=NAME key=VALIDPASSWORD
and press enter.

Type:
netsh wlan start hostednetwork
and press enter

Now click Control Panel > Network and Internet > Network and Sharing Centre > Change Adapter Settings, right-click your internet connection and select Properties. Click the Sharing tab, check "Allow other network users to connect...", choose your virtual Wi-Fi adaptor

Back