Valve adding official PlayStation 4 controller support to Steam

Scorpus

Staff member

Valve is set to make life a lot easier for PC gamers who use Sony's DualShock 4 controller, as the company is planning to update Steam with native support for the controller in the near future.

The news comes via a transcript of a talk given by Valve's Jeff Bellinghausen at Steam Dev Days, who said that Steam will support the PlayStation 4 controller through the Steam Controller API. When a gamer presses a button on the DualShock 4, games will respond as if the gamer is using a Steam Controller.

Steam is able to support the DualShock 4 via the Steam Controller API because both the DualShock 4 and Steam Controller have similar functionality, including the touchpad and gyroscope. Valve was also interested in getting full support for the DualShock 4 in Steam as existing solutions are "a bit weak"; with native support, the PS4 controller will become "nice and reliable".

Gamers who currently want to use the PS4's controller with Steam games have to emulate a different controller through various applications, including DS4Windows. Sony does not officially support the DualShock 4 on Windows in any capacity.

Valve are also looking to support other controllers in the future.

Steam currently supports the Xbox 360 and Xbox One controllers, which are popular among PC gamers, as well as the Steam Controller and a variety of gamepads built specifically for the PC. Adding in DualShock 4 support makes PC gaming using a controller much easier for those who already own a PlayStation 4.

Permalink to story.

As someone who prefers the Dualshock over the Xbone controller, this is much appreciated. Some titles don't even recognize it even with external software like DS4Windows.

Yea, this is a problem I had. So many people told me, "Ya, a PS4 controller should work. The xbox controller works just fine why dont you use that?"

bah suppose there are ways to make it work, and even with emulators and all... but setup can be tedious.

You guys should look into InputMapper. Sort of the successor of DS4Windows.

Even with the anniversary update in Win10 it's pretty much plug and play. It's great Steam is giving support to DS4 controllers though.

Nice, I still prefer my trusty wired 360 controllers, works perfectly with pretty much every game, works perfectly with steam stream. After using a Xbox 360 controller back at launch I have always preferred then over the dual shocks, but I did think the DS4 was a nice improvement.

Now this is awesome. There were a few times where I went to Fry's Electronics or GameStop and just sitting there deciding whether to get an XBOX controller even though I had two PS4 controllers and a PS3 controller which worked pretty decently with DS4Windows but I just wanted something that's plug and play and native support with games. Now I don't need to think much about it anymore for the most part. The only thing left is I wished games were "smart" and can change the button icons depending on whether you're using the PlayStation's controllers or XBOX controllers.

Now I just need to get a new video card again haha. Ended up returning my AMD RX470 since I had issues with it and tried to solve it for nearly a month with no avail (and yes I did use DDD to remove my previous NVIDIA drivers). It just did not like my specific system or something since the monitor would never turn back on once it goes to sleep for some time. Also would randomly freeze the computer.

Last edited:
Nice, I still prefer my trusty wired 360 controllers, works perfectly with pretty much every game, works perfectly with steam stream. After using a Xbox 360 controller back at launch I have always preferred then over the dual shocks, but I did think the DS4 was a nice improvement.

The thing is that the DS4 is quite literally more accurate than the 360 controller.

The 360's gamepad has some pretty huge deadzone issues that hold it back from ever being accurate enough for a shooter. And before you ask, yes I do play MP shooters on PC with a controller and do quite well.

Back