Verizon is preparing to throttle 4G LTE unlimited data users

Shawn Knight

Staff member

verizon unlimited data data throttling

Starting October 1, Verizon customers on unlimited data plans that meet certain criteria will see their 4G LTE wireless connection throttled as part of what the carrier calls "Network Optimization," a practice that previously only affected 3G connections.

The good news is that the list of criteria that must be met for speed reduction to occur is pretty lengthy. Here's the full rundown according to Verizon:

• Top 5% of data users (you use 4.7GB of data per month or more)
  • Enrolled on an unlimited data plan or feature
  • Have fulfilled their minimum contract term
  • Are attempting to use data on a cell site that is experiencing high demand

Keep in mind that a customer must meet all of the above criteria before reduced speeds kick in. Also, once a user has been throttled, they may continue to be impacted for the rest of the current billing cycle and through the next billing cycle.

The key here seems to be whether or not you're on a high demand network or not. Verizon doesn't consider this to be true throttling as speeds aren't reduced for the entire billing cycle, 100 percent of the time. For example, if you are a heavy data user and there's plenty of available bandwidth, your speeds won't be impacted.

Unlimited data plans were once an effective marketing method but as we slowly transitioned to a data-heavy society, carriers realized they could make more money by eliminating unlimited data plans and moving customers to tiered plans where they can charge a lot for overages.

According to DroidLife, more than 20 percent of Verizon data customers are still on unlimited plans. Verizon, however, claims this figure isn't accurate and the actual percentage is lower.

Permalink to story.

"Are attempting to use data on a cell site that is experiencing high demand"

define "high demand"

Just switch to T-Mobile, Verizon is shiit!

If u go in vacation, you have free unlimited internet, globally. I dont see that on any other shitty carrier in US.

If u go in vacation, you have free unlimited internet, globally. I dont see that on any other shitty carrier in US.
You do know that T-Mobile already does this and so does Sprint. AT&T doesn't, but don't have a unlimited plan. You're farked with any one of them. Americans need to really read the fine print.
/I have At&t and T-mobile

"Unlimited data plans were once an effective marketing method but as we slowly transitioned to a data-heavy society, carriers realized they could make more money by eliminating unlimited data plans and moving customers to tiered plans where they can charge a lot for overages."

Why are they allowed to 'charge a lot for overages'? Imagine if your electric utility did that - what would your bill be like if up to 100kwh was at $.12 @ kwh and above that 'tier' it was $.99 @ kwh.

Why isn't this considered 'predatory'? Why isn't it regulated?

If Electric companies did what the Verizon does - they'd sell you a shared electric package for your family that cost you $100.00 for around 300 kwh of service (enough to keep lights on at times and run your fridge and dryer, make coffee and that's it) - then when you go over it'd be 10 bucks more per 50kwh.

lol *that's* how you do charges like the carriers.

News to everyone who doesn't know: Verizon Wireless ALWAYS reserved the right to throttle unlimited data users.

"Unlimited data plans were once an effective marketing method but as we slowly transitioned to a data-heavy society, carriers realized they could make more money by eliminating unlimited data plans and moving customers to tiered plans where they can charge a lot for overages."

Why are they allowed to 'charge a lot for overages'? Imagine if your electric utility did that - what would your bill be like if up to 100kwh was at $.12 @ kwh and above that 'tier' it was $.99 @ kwh.

Why isn't this considered 'predatory'? Why isn't it regulated?

I don't know how it operates where you live, but where I live the electric companies have on-peak and off-peak rates. If the electric companies acted in the same fashion as the telcos your electric bill would probably be less than what it is now.

Just switch to T-Mobile
We tried. T-mobile has some great plans and benefits. Perfect for those who live in top markets. It just wasn't acceptable that our home has no t-mobile service at home when its coverage map says we should at least be able to make calls. At&t nearly has an LTE tower in our back yard. It pulled a 60Mbps speed test.

We tried. T-mobile has some great plans and benefits. Perfect for those who live in top markets. It just wasn't acceptable that our home has no t-mobile service at home when its coverage map says we should at least be able to make calls. At&t nearly has an LTE tower in our back yard. It pulled a 60Mbps speed test.

T-Mobile never impressed me. My family members in a city have T-Mobile and they barely could get coverage where they lived. Meanwhile with Verizon I was able to get full data in places that I frankly was surprised T-Mobile couldn't get any data at all. I don't use even close to my data cap and I share with 3 other people (I use the least). Now if they capped my cable internet at home I would go insane.

300445.jpg
JC713 said:
Haha 4.7GB is probably nothing on unlimited. I bet a lot of people will be throttled.
I have unlimited and 4.7Gb is a LOT, that would be more than (via the Data Usage Calculator): 250 emails per day, 50 webpage visits per day, and streaming music for 2 hours per day. You have to also realize how many people are covered by their home/workplace/public WiFi signal throughout the day. Regardless - You're correct in the fact that a lot of people will be throttled. I'm sure this is all a cloak & shadows reasoning to throttle nearly everyone just to create availability for a 5G...only because speed is competition.
July 26, 2014 4:58 AMGuest said:
So.. everyone is going to be throttled.
Yes, they just won't say "Everyone", especially when the majority of users will have no idea they're even being throttled.
July 26, 2014 5:55 AM
322939.jpg
havok585 said:
Funny where ever I go outside of a major city I have to tether my phone to T-Mobile/AT&T phones so I can share my 4G signal with those who get absolutely nothing. I've had Verizon for over 10 years. The past 3 phones that I had over 6 years are all working fine.

How they can legally revoke grandfathered-in contracts that note the actual data transmission speeds is beyond me. Yet no one will stand up to these guys. Same thing with gas when you think about it. Someone could fart in the wrong direction and the gas companies will jack up the prices due to "Competitive flatulence".

*nerd*

I had them and dropped out, just way to expensive unlimited everything except data. Even with the min 1GB wasn't cost effective. 2GB slaps on $15 per month more plus the tax and extra taxes, plus if your late $5 more tack on. I gone with AT&T on Windows 8.1 don't have these issues plus pay a lot less too.

Verizon and Comcast work in harmony so both are over priced, poor service and no discounts for current customers. Just milk us for all the money they can get with all sorts of extras. Video phone on Verizon tacks on more per month. I had enough!

This will truly suck for me seeing as the last 2 months the only internet I have been using is my vzw data plan on avg between 3 tethered devices..2 tablets and fire TV along with my cell I use about 260 to 300 gigs a month and that's just playin a cpl android games a month and streaming music and movies and TV show. I am on disability so don't do much else cept sleep! soon I guess I will be even more bored

Back