Very frustrating microphone issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

pscopa9

Hello everyone
I play online games and use my microphone a lot to talk to people while I'm playing in Ventrilo. I just recently reformatted. I am running Windows XP on an ASUS M3A motherboard, with the most updated Realtek AC97 Audio drivers. I am using an onboard sound card.

This is the problem I have been having. My microphone will work for a certain amount of time. Everybody can hear my voice clearly, and everything is good. Suddenly, after about 5 minutes (though the time varies), without me touching ANY settings, whenever i hold down my mic button to talk, instead of hearing my voice, everybody hears MY feedback, so they can hear everything that I am hearing. I go to test my microphone, and I can hear my feedback. After a RANDOM amount of time, my mic works normally again, with no feedback. This cycle of mic working/feedback repeats itself.

I have tried reinstalling with the drivers that came with the motherboard, and with new and updated audio drivers. I have tried reformatting. I have even bought a new desk mic. I have put the microphone in both the front and the back jack and messed around with it. The problem continues.

What's weird is that sometimes if I reinstall my sound drivers, it'll work for awhile, but eventually it switches back to the microphone/feedback cycle. It's as if my stereo mix is unmuted randomly, and my microphone muted. Does anybody have any idea why this is happening? I cannot for the life of me figure it out.

I am assuming you are using latest sound drivers.

Do you have previously installed (i.e older) version of your sound drivers? if so, please uninstall the latest drivers, clean out any left over files with Driver Cleaner Pro or Driver Sweeper (both have free versions available on net). Then install that version of drivers and see how that works out.

Ok. I just did the driver sweeper, removed a bunch of registry files and normal files, and reinstalled the latest drivers from the realtek website. I'll let you know if it works.

Look in Ctrl Panel->Sounds->Audio.

Look at the pull down list for Recording devices
> Might you have more then one listed?
> If so, check to see one app might be grabbing device control (i.e. changing the default device assignment)
> You can also set the device you want and check Use only default devices

well, i know there's some cheap USB sound cards for audio playback. you might want to see if a cheap one also exists for a mic. Would also tell you the problem is onboard sound if offboard works

do you think it'd be worth it to buy a USB headset instead of using the jacks? Or should i buy the soundcard

you mean a headset with mic?? Though, in any case, i think you want to first prove the problem can be fixed with an addon sound card. So would suggest you buy something at a local brick and mortar store so it's easy to get it, test and return for full refund if that still doesn't solve the problem

OOops! I think i misunderstood your question. And yes, a USB headset would be another way to provide for "offboard" sound.. in any case, suggest you still best buy what you need at a local store so is easy to test, exchagne, return for refund etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back