Very laggy Windows XP Home Edition SP3 laptop after BSODs and two reinstalls

Rini

Okay,im on another computer,so no pictures,but one fine day,my computer starting Blue-screening me.

First I got error 0x77,saying KERNAL_STACK_INPAGE_ERROR.

I thought that was weird,restarted,and played on it for a while. Then it happened again,no codes though.

"Windows has shut down to save your files." Yadda yadda yadda,but then,no code.

Instead it said, "Something crucial to your computer has been deleted."

I knew something was up,so I did it again,and the no-code screen came up again. Then I decided to make a fresh slate,and re-install the whole thing.

Then,after re-installing,no boot. I went to the safe mode screen,and went to check on the "Last known good boot" thing. "Windows could not find the file system32/system"I think. Something like that,at least.

After re-installing twice,i checked on it again,it worked,and it worked so terribly slow,I couldn't even download Mozilla Firefox!

I've came here for a last resort.

Its Windows XP Home Edition,SP3. Sadly,I don't know what video card I have,because since we are moving,it got packed away in a box.

Its a laptop,and we are going to call Coby tomorrow,but I don't think they'll be able to help,since F7 doesn't do a thing.

I hope someone has an idea for this,because I sure dont. :confused:

What were you using F7 for?

After a reinstall the most likely problem will be hardware related, memory or hard drive. Follow these guides to test them.

Identify the make of your hard drive and then use one of the links below to get the manufacturers diagnostic for ISO CD. Burn the image file to a CD, boot the PC with the disc in the drive and run the diagnostics. You first need to set the CD drive to 1st in the boot order in the Bios setup.

If you do not have an image burner use this free software to make the CD.

http://www.isoimageburner.com/

ExcelStor: http://www.excelstor.com/eng/support.php?sub_id=3

Hitachi/IBM: http://www.hitachigst.com/support/downloads/

Samsung: http://www.samsung.com/global/business/hdd/support/downloads/support_in_es.html

Seagate, Maxtor & Quantum:http://www.seagate.com/www/en-us/support/downloads

Western Digital:http://support.wdc.com/product/download.asp?lang=en

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Toshiba Fujitsu: http://sdd.toshiba.com/main.aspx?Path=SoftwareUtilities#diagnostic

If you have a Toshiba hard drive I would suggest the use of the diagnostics from the Seagate link as this will work on all makes of drive and on any OS.

Power off the PC and remove the mains connection, always touch the metal of the case with your hands to avoid any static electricity from causing component damage. (On laptops ALWAYS remove the battery before removing or replacing memory modules). Remove all your memory modules. Clean the contacts with a soft rubber (up and down not from end to end) then insert just one module and reboot to test for any change in performance. Repeat this for every module one at a time and run for at least 24 hours (or until an error occurs) with memory intensive programs, playing games or a video. Obviously if you only have one module this cannot be done, but you should still remove and clean the module and reseat it and test.

If you only have one stick download this to test it. http://www.memtest.org/

You need to scroll down the page until you see the three blue screenshots. Just below is the list of downloads for Memtest86+ V4.20. Click on Download - Pre-Compiled Bootable ISO (.zip)and save to your desktop, When the download is complete right click the file and select Extract Here and burn the image to a CD. In windows 7 right click the extracted file, select Open With, then select Windows Disc Image Burning Tool then follow the prompts. For all other versions of windows (if you do not have an ISO burner) download this free software. http://www.isoimageburner.com/

Boot the PC into the Bios setup and set the CD/DVD drive to 1st in the boot sequence. Insert the disk in the drive then reboot and the disc will load into dos. Leave the test to run through at least 8 cycles.

The memtest will not be 100% accurate but should easily detect any major faults.

If this doesnt come out right,i'm on a dsi internet thing (Stupid,I know.),on my Coby laptop,on the boot screen,F7 is the button you want to click to get a fresh re-install. Also..err...I don't have any clean disks on my other computer,I don't have a disk drive on my laptop. Stupid mini laptops. Is there any other possible way to do it? Usb,something? I know my friend has an empty USB card on her.

If you look as instructed, on the Memtest page you will see a download for a USB key.

The hard drive diagnostics may be available for a USB stick but as I don't know your make of drive I can't answer that one.

I'm thinking my hard drive is from Toshiba,but I can check in the BIOS just in case. Hopefully the program I download on te USB won't be a short-cut. :haha:

As suggested in my instructions, use the Seatools ISO CD for diagnostics on a Toshiba drive. Toshiba do not do a boot disc version.

Ill try that. Thank you for the info!~ Now I just gotta wait for my friend to come over. Oh crap! I forgot! I only have one usb slot on my computer,and thats using a wireless mouse to replace one that doesnt work. Hmm.....maybe if I'm lucky,my computer will at LEAST get me on the internet. I cant just download on my friends computer,they have no internet. Greeeeat. Im also on my laptop,and i tried to load on safe mode,and it loads,but stops at a thing called "Mup.sys". Do you have any idea what that exactly is? It wont let me boot into any of the safe mode options. Thank you for the help though. Waaait,it just loaded. Ima try safe mode. Whoops.

I apologise for post 6, I was forgetting you don't have a CD drive. Seagate does do a diagnostics for windows though, if you can get the PC to boot, it should run ok in safe mode. Start safe mode with Networking so you can get internet access to download the software.

If your touchpad works use that instead of the mouse.

Sorry for the sorta late reply,but im booting the computer in safe mode as I speak. I think the first time I booted in Safe Mode,when I went on the internet,it said that something was wrong and to check if my hard drive was full,and i dont remember what it said. Im logging on to the admin account right now. (I'm really hoping this works.) And its okay. I forget more than I remember,so its fine. :)

Oh,heres one of the errors when trying to go to the internet.

Title: NSIS Error
The installer you are trying to use is corrupted or incomplete.
This could be the result of a damaged disk,a failed download or a virus.

You may want to contact the author for a new copy to obtain.

It may be possible to skip this check using the /NCRC command line switch.
(NOT RECCOMENDED.)
(end)

Im on my laptop in Safe mode. Is there anything I can just download and put to the test so I dont have to worry about getting a usb?

Is there anything I can just download and put to the test so I dont have to worry about getting a usb?

I just told you in my last post, use the Seatools for Windows.

Your last post is very confusing, just try to explain the facts of what happened. If your hard drive actually is full you will not be able to download the software. Try deleting any old software you have on there to make some space.

I know im sounding stupid,and I dont mean to confuse people. I have no software on my laptop,and ill download the tool. Im sorry I sound stupid,i'm not good at putting computer terms. D:

Its ten minutes after,on another computer,and the laptop BSOD'd me on safe mode. Im starting to think it could be a virus of some sort,because I didnt do anything. It wont even download...

Ok, communication through these posts can sometimes be difficult and I know how easy it is to miss things.

Lets try something else to try and get some results on the condition of the hard drive.

In safe mode, click on the Start button (bottom left corner of screen) then click on Run in the pop up menu. Now type cmd in the Run box and hit the Enter key on your keyboard.

A black box will open with a flashing cursor. Type chkdsk /r (exactly as I have typed here with a gap between the k & /), then hit the Enter key again.

It will ask if you want to run the check on the next reboot, type y, just the single letter, and hit the Enter key again and reboot the computer. It will automatically go into the disk check when it reboots.

Hopefully this will all happen without it crashing. It could take about an hour to run but keep an eye on the information displayed on screen and keep notes of what appears, what you need to look for is anything about "bad sectors". If the test appears to freeze, just leave it as this is normal.

Let me know how it goes and if you are unclear about any of these instructions please ask before you begin.

I called somebody about computers because my mom wanted to call them,and they said to do chkdisk,and there is alot of problems,and its 74 percent completed on the 4th outta 5th stage. Hopefully this works,because its stuck on 74%. But anyway,i'm new at this stuff,so I have many random confusion moments.

I did say "If the test appears to freeze, just leave it as this is normal". Please let it finish, it will get there it could take and hour to finish depending on the size of the drive.

If you started this before my last post, did you add the /r on the end, without this it will not try to repair anything.

I know. It hasent been doing anything in the past hour though... I know it will work though,and if it doesnt,I might have to send it back to the company to fix it again. Ive talked to one of the guys,and they said that on Monday to call them back and to tell them what the results said.

Thank you for the recent info!~ :grinthumb

Oh...Noooooow its going again. It was stopped at 74%,now its going again.

I went to "my computer", C: drive,properties and did it from there.

Last post,and it has finished. It says,

"An unspecified error occured."
"Windows has finished checking the disk."

Go to Start > Run and type: eventvwr.msc /s , and hit enter.
When Event Viewer opens, click on "Application", then scroll down to "Winlogon" and double-click on it.

Copy & Paste the log into your next post. This is the result from the check disk scan.

Err... Do you turn it off after it has the results? This is the first time ive done this...

Turn off the laptop. I just did that after calling my cousin who deals with computers,and he just said it was a hard drive error and the people at the computer company just needed to replace the hard drive. Even though this might be my last post about this,and hopefully wont happen again,

Thank you so much for all your help!~ :grinthumb

Your welcome :).

The laptop should boot into windows when the chkdsk finishes. If not just hold down the power button and it will shut down.

Back