Video card fan not spinning

ayame67

Hey, I'm new here so I might be posting in the wrong section so... I apologize beforehand.
Lately, my PC keeps overheating, I already cleaned everything inside and the side of my processor is open, otherwise, it would overheat even while browsing the internet.
Anyways, for now everything's fine but, I can not play games at all, even a browser rpg will make my PC overheat and later on, lead to rebooting.
I checked the fans and two of them worked perfectly, except the videocard fan.
Any ideas on how I'm supposed to make it spin again?

I already cleaned everything inside and the side of my processor is open
What do you mean the side of your processor is open? The CPU shouldn't be open to ambient air, but cooled by a Heat sink. Sounds like you need to replace your heat-sink or clean it and reapply thermal paste.

As for the fan on your GPU. If your fan isnt spinning it could be a couple things. Make sure to clean it, a can of compressed air should do the trick. Make sure your card is plugged in securely and is receiving power. In the event that your fan is just broken. In some cases you can just replace it. Or even buy one of those after market GPU heat sinks.

Hi, Yes same has happened to me. If your card is out of warranty, then you can try the 'fix' I have done to my old Ati Radeon x1650.
With mine, the pc had to be on for say 30 mins (a clue) then only when I ran a graphic intensive game the problems started, (another clue.)
I could hear my fan slowing down, over time, so I took the card out, and under the fan motor is a sticker which covers the fan bearing.
I put in 2 drops of '3 in 1' oil, then put card back in pc. Now I can hear the fan running as it used to, and no crashes or reboots.

Hmm, well I screwed my fan again and it actually seems to get a little bit of power but only for a fewm inutes afterwards, as mike said, I can hear it slowing down and it stops. Also when it spins it makes a painful noise, it's as if something is in the way and won't let it spin properly.

Yes that does sound as if the bearing has gone dry. You might not be able to fix it, but if there is a sticker under the center of the fan, might have the motor voltage on, such as '12v DC 100ma' and 'CE made in PRC' or similar.
Then if you can peel the sticker back you may see the bearing in the middle of the fan, and you can put a couple of drops of oil on it. Put the sticker back and it should be good for a few months. It's what I did on a ATI Radeon PCI-E card, where the fan had stopped, the bearing dry.

@mike: can you show me a picture ? I understood what you meant, but just to make sure ;o. I might not have that sticker or idk .-.

Hi ayame67, This is a photo of my Radeon PCI-E card and the fan bearing.
I have to take 3 screws out first then turn the fan over, then peel back the sticker.
I have used 3-in-1 oil but the Teflon Tri-Flow could be much better. ref above; 'Darth Shiv'.
Your fan and card could be very different but worth trying to fix the fan than buy a new card.
I have now cleaned all the dust off too.radeon_fan.jpg

Wow Thank you guys, especially to mike. It worked like magic! My temperature has gone down radically and it doesn't go overboard anymore, you're awesome ;D. The fan makes 0 noise , it's perfect <3.
And here's some proof:
b5abe5ed.png

Oh, btw I have one more question (sorry >.<!): What exactly is Temp 3 in Speed Fan? It goes up to 90 when playing games ;o. It would be great if I could fix that up as well .-.
P.S: Thank you for providing me with pics Mike & Darth ;>
P.S.S: Mike, your graphics card fan is huuge in comparison to mine ;O

Hi ayame67, Very good to hear the fix to your fan bearing worked, I have done the same a few times to various fans that went dry in the bearing.
You may have to do the same again if it dries out again, but at least you know.
On your card, I don't know what the 'Temp3' at 41 C is, but if you do use games with intensive graphics, as in modern games, you can expect the temps to rise on your graphics card.
You could add another fan near to your graphics card.
My Graphics card is a 2007 PCI-E ATI Radeon X1650pro, and is ok, just average, but works well for me.
I don't have the modern games, but I do have driving sims such as Simbin 'Race07' and the card gives me 1680x1050 screens.

Try this too... Make sure your motherboard is dustfree clean. Use a small table-fan facing the cpu while its running this will control temps exernally and boost up performance formally.

I am having the same problem with my Graphics card. Everyother fan is spinning but not the fan on my graphics card. when I put the graphics card into another computer the fan spins. Any ideas?

Back