Video card Hell. VGAsave, code 12, card not recognized

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm adding a video card (a Geforce 9400GT 512MB pci-e 2.0 to a Dell Optiplex 320 computer. This should have been a 10-15 minute job but I've spent a good 8 hours or so trying to resolve this issue.

The computer had on-board integrated video so I disabled those drivers, turned off the computer, plugged in the new video card into the pci-e slot, fired it up, video showed up while plugged into the video card so I logged into windows and then tried to install the drivers. The disc that came with the video card says "No supported hardware is found in your system." I downloaded the most recent drivers from the NVidia site and it said the same thing. I checked the current video adapter being used and it said "VGAsave" so I looked in device manager and there's an ! next to "PCI standard PCI-to-PCI bridge." I figure this is the problem and why the video card isn't recognized so I look at the properties for that and it says "This device cannot find enough free resources that it can use. (Code 12)"

I've done a lot of research and reading but I can't find any solution to this. I tried to uninstall the integrated video and completely get rid of the drivers using a driver sweeper program and that didn't work. The only setting in the BIOS for video is to either have "Auto" or "Onboard". I have it set to Auto but there is no way to disable the onboard video card within the BIOS. I've upgraded the BIOS and that still didn't help. I've reinstalled Windows XP first without the new video card installed and then tried to install it and that still didn't work. I then reinstalled Windows XP with the new video card installed and it showed the ! next to PCI standard PCI-to-PCI bridge right away. I called EVGA support for the card and everything they suggested I had already tried so they didn't help. I've tried everything that I can think of and nothing works.

Has anyone ever had this problem or know how to resolve this issue? I am beyond frustrated but would love any suggestions. Thank you so much!

Thanks for the suggestion SNGX. I have tried to disable the onboard video in the device manager and I was still having the same problems. So then I tried to totally uninstall the onboard video from the device manager and any traces of it from Windows but the same thing is still happening.

Any other ideas?

Have you tried completely resetting the CMOS by pulling the battery out? I would give that a whirl with the card installed and see what happens. The BIOS will most likely choose to enable the onboard video but you can go back and switch it back to auto. If that doesn't work, I would try installing the latest chipset drivers for the motherboard and then try installing the video drivers after that. The card should work in the computer even if the slot is PCIe 1.x... make sure you are downloading the correct drivers.

Thank you EXCellR8 for that suggestion. I tried to reset the CMOS but I was still getting the same problem afterwards. I also updated my chipset drivers for the motherboard and then tried to install the video drivers after that. My display adapter still said VGAsave and the drivers wouldn't install because the new video card wasn't recognized in the system.

I'm not sure what to do next. Does anyone have any ideas?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back