Video card not showing up in dxdiag

Status
Not open for further replies.

tazman75

Hi,
I'm running windows 7 with amd athlon xp 2400 at 2gig, 1gig of pc3200 ddr, and a xfx nvidia geforce 6200 512mb ddr2 64bit agp vista certified.
In device manager it show's the card with w7 driver ( prerelease ) WDDM-1.0 but there's still a yellow icon next it and if I open dxdiag under the display tab it show's n/a.
Even just playing the chess game it run's very slow just like it would without adding a driver.
The card is brand new and work's just fine I xp, everything show's up where it should.
I've tried other driver's but no change, I even tried my geforce fx 5200 with the same result.
If anyone has any idea's please let me know.

I have included some pic's.

Thank's.

Attachments

• dxdiag.jpg
    dxdiag.jpg
    188.1 KB · Views: 23
another pic

I couldn't add another pic to the first post.
This is the device manager.

Attachments

• driver.jpg
    driver.jpg
    179.4 KB · Views: 21
Even before seeing your pictures (which only confirmed my guess) was going to say/explain your problem is all due to the driver:
  • Windows comes with its own generic video driver
  • Whenever Windows boots and can't find a suitable driver for the monitor it defaults to using its own generic driver
  • Its generic is pretty basic and as you've found: no fancy affects, nor speed (it's main goal is simply provide you monitor to see computer display so you see errors, check Device Manager,etc
  • Clearly the driver you have loaded is suitable for XP but doesn't work under Windows 7
  • If you look at the General tab in Device Manager you'll see the Driver Status which should say Working Properly otherwise you'll see an error code. But whatever the error code you can be 90%+ certain it's because the driver isn't compatible with your current environment
To try any match for a driver you need to start with the motherboard (what is it?) unless it's a system from a vendor like HP, Dell, etc. (then you start at their site) but sounds like you need find motherboard/Windows compatible drivers to start.

Thank's for the reply.
Kinda thought it would be a driver thing but I have tried other's and this is the one from w7 upate.
I have an older board which is a problem, it's a dfi kt400a lanparty with via chip set, no onboard video
So hope it can be fixed without a bios update, I've never done one and hate to end up with a dead board, one slip and it's toast from what I've heard.
So any advice would be great.
Any other info you need just ask.

Thank's.

1. You can try running Everest (instructions below) might help us identify your board specifics with greater detail

2. It sounds as tho a BIOS update might be in your near future BUT while what you hear about toasting your board may be true, i'd add
  • Given a choice from the BIOS update provider, you're better to burn the update to CD and then boot from CD and install update from CD as then you also aren't subject to any Windows and Windows utility screw ups that might occur if you update via a Windows based tool
  • But even then, 99% of the problems occur because someone isn't careful so...
    • Make sure you're downloading the right BIOS code! (THe wrong code to the wrong chip can obviously spell disaster)
    • Don't interrupt it (meaning make sure everything is plugged not batteries. And the power cord is somewhere it won't get stumbled across and accidently pulled out)
    • Be patient. The worst thing you can do (besides download the wrong code) is interrupt the BIOS update (tho it shouldn't normally take very long anyway)
Download and run Everest Home. From top of Everest window:
  • Click File->Preference
    • Check English
    • Still under Preferences click Report, uncheck Include Debug Information
    • Close Preferences window
  • Click Reports->Report Wizard. Get a Custom Report in plain text. Check items
    • Computer
    • Motherboard
    • Display
  • Attach the report file to a TechSpot post. When you create your TechSpot post, use the paper clip icon to attach the report. (If you don't see it among your icons, you need to click the TechSpot Go Advanced button towards bottom of window)

Here is the report.
Only check computer,motherboard and display but it reported everything.

Attachments

• Report.txt
    163.8 KB · Views: 13
Okay, so here's the issue. Windows 7 loads a version of driver that is far from complete, and as such will run games horribly and error out in a lot of areas. Since I run Windows 7 myself, I know your problem well. The best course of action is actually to install a Windows Vista driver since the basic driver engine is the same. So, what I suggest is that you download this driver:

http://www.nvidia.com/object/winvista_x86_182.06_whql.html

And install it. If you get an error, right click the installer > Properties > Compatibility tab > Set to Windows Vista, hit ok, then try again. Trust me, it works, and will perform a lot better than the included or Windows Update drivers.

Hi,
Sorry to say but that driver did not work.
I put in my old fx 5200 and the same thing, if I download any driver from nvidia or the update the screen will just freeze with either card.
I didn't notice before but when I open device manager other than having the yellow icon when I open properties under the general tab it say's code 43.
And code 43 is all over the net with different card's using vista or w7.
Any other ide's?
Even some had newer motherboard's with update's.
I'm just so lost,
Both card's work fine in xp, so could it just be bad driver's coming out?

Thank's

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back