Video card or something else?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Processor, 80547, Pentium 4 Prescott Dt, Pentium 4 Prescott DT, 3.2GHZ, 1 MEGB, 800FSB..., SKT-T, D0
Dual In-Line Memory Module, 512533M, 64X64, 8, 240, 1RX8
CARD, Graphics, 256, 6800, HMGA11 NV42
Hard Drive, 160G, S2, 7.2K, 8M Lead Free, SGT-PUM

These are my system specs pretty much just copied off of the Dell website in which my warranty is up... I am not a computer genius but I know a little about computers how to reformat and what not. I was in the middle of playing a game and my computer crashed, and went to the blue screen, I went to restart and it goes to where I can select the user and then it goes back to the blue screen telling me it's dumping physical memory. I have vertical dotted lines running down the screen, and this is the second time it's happened, and the previous time it was the graphics card. How do I know if this is the graphics card again, and what can I do to make sure this doesn't happen again? I was reading up and seeing the power supply, I have an OLD power strip and think maybe that's why my cards have been braking? Please help, so I know whether to buy another card of if it's something else.

Now I can turn it on and it will go in, but there are now horizontal lines and everything is loading VERY slowly, is it the graphics card? Everything just shows up and it skips frames a whole bunch.

K, now I can get into my computer but it has lines going across it, anything that loads the screen goes black and reloads in and all stuff is messed up on the screen, can anyone help me?

If you have lines across your display then odds are the graphics card could have an issue. You might want to take the side of the computer and see if the fan on the video card is spinning. If it isn't the card might be over heating and causing you an issue. Over course if it has been overheating for awhile there is a chance that it has been damaged.

Last thing before I buy a new card... I can get in the lines are there, but I can get into SOME programs but it's ridiculously slow, and the fan on the graphics card does work and it makes weird noises, PLEASE PLEASE say something b4 I buy a new card if it's not the card.

If you have an alternative vga socket on the back of your pc, you could try removing the graphics card and using that socket. If its onboard graphics you will have only 1 socket and are screwed sorry..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back