Video card overheating

Hello,

My graphics card (Nvidia GeForce 8800 GT) is running at about 150 F when the computer is idling. I've never had this problem before, i just restarted my computer and the resolution was all messed up. Any idea why this is happening?

Computer specs:
Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit
Intel Core 2 duo 1.87 GHz
6GB RAM
Nvidia GeForce 8800 GT

Thanks!

sorry for the late reply, make sure u clean out the heat sink, use can air but make sure u hold the fan so it doesn't spin. Then test temps, if thats not working maybe add some fans in that area to add more airflow around the card.

I tried all that, even opened it up and put fresh thermal compound on. I don't think it's an airflow problem, because like I said I never had this problem before and i haven't changed anything inside the case. In fact, I usually keep the case open so I can switch out the drives easier.

okay try multiple programs to monitor temps, everest and gpuz and speed fan, see if they all say the same or if one is off.

are your video drivers up to date also if you have more than one monitor hooked up to the card it will run hotter at idle speeds.

It could be the video card fan is failing to come up to full speed. If so, you might have to replace the fan or if that's not feasible, the whole graphics card heatsink/fan assembly.

Is this causing problems or have you just noticed its hotter than usual? The max operating temp of the 8800 GT is 105c (221F).
Remember that an increase in ambient temperatures will result in an increase in system temperatures and component temps. Also having the case open isn't always "cooler" as cases are usually designed to have airflow through them to help remove the hot air (front, side intakes, rear and PSU exhausts). If you have decent fans in the case I'd suggest closing the case to see if that makes any positive difference.

It is a problem. The resolution is all messed up, and when i try to play a game or do anything graphics intensive, i get weird green streaks and it completely freezes. Also the BIOS post screen is displaying weirdly. In device manager is says there is a hardware failure, Is the card just dead?

It is a problem. The resolution is all messed up, and when i try to play a game or do anything graphics intensive, i get weird green streaks and it completely freezes. Also the BIOS post screen is displaying weirdly. In device manager is says there is a hardware failure, Is the card just dead?

Sounds like the card is definitely on the way out if it is displaying those problems at temperatures far from its max operating temperature.

Back