Video card problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys,

several months ago I decided to upgrade my machine to get it a little closer to par until I had the time and money to build a new one. Here is a rough breakdown of the machine originally.

MSI 915P Neo2 Platinum Motherboard
P4 3.0ghz HT
2 gigs (512x4) DDR2 kingston hyperx RAM (KHX4300D2K2/1G)
Antec TruePower 430w power supply
evga geforce 6600
160 gig WD HD

So I bought a 7900gt to give the machine a little boost. I've built many machines before so I'm pretty familiar with most aspects of the PC. I installed the new card, and after booting it up and installing drivers, I rebooted the machine. Right away the screen started flashing black and green pixels would show up (and it seemed to get worse if the PC was under any load). After trying to figure out the cause (tried different drivers, using temp monitoring software, checked PSU requirements ect) couldnt track it down. Came to the conclusion that it must be a bad card.

So just this past week I decided, heck I'm going to try again. Ordered the Zotac 8800gt and got it all connected. Right away same problem. Decided that maybe my PSU was not cutting it. Bought an Antec Truepower Trio 650w. Still same problem coming up, black flashing and green pixels. The temp on the card is sitting around 51-55c idle right now, down to 44ish if I crank the GPU fan up. Safe mode it seems to be ok, i think (haven't put any load on it in safe mode). Tried the drivers it came with, and a variety of other drivers. I can't figure it out. If I put the 6600 back in the machine it runs just great.

Any advice? I can give more details on things if needed.

Thanks

Try running Driver Cleaner Pro to remove all nVidia drivers from the system, then remove the entries in Add/Remove Programs. After the system has been powered down, install the 8800gt or whatever card you want to use. If the said problem occurs again, you can try to get into Safe Mode to install new video drivers or reinstall the 6600 and reinstall the chipset drivers. If you still have problems, I would recommend trying the card in another system or reinstalling Windows. You could always grab another hard drive, format it, and install an OS just to see if the card works with your setup. It sounds to me like there is a conflict between devices so maybe reinstalling the OS and starting from scratch will fix it.

On a side note... make sure your BIOS is up to date.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back