Video controller (VGA compatible) driver issue

ginny2221956

My m-in-l's computer crashed so I brought it to my house to reinstall everything for her. I am almost to the point of setting it back up at her house, but I am still having a couple of problems. I've searched and searched for all three but nothing has worked yet, so I thought I would post on here.

The 1st thing I am trying to resolve is:

I noticed a yellow circle with a "!" in the middle of the yellow circle under device manager of her Display adapters/Video Controller (VGA Compatible)". In the system tray it says "Found New Hardware ATI Radeon Xpress 200 Series". So I went to Gateway website to get the specific drivers for my M-in-law's GT5222e Os XP and their was a chip driver for the ATI Radeon Xpress 200 Series so I downloaded it & extracted the files into Cabs like the instructions said to and now I am getting the error message

"Severe - Setup was unable to complete the installation. Try to set up your display adapter with a standard VGA driver before running setup."

So I closed that window and a new window popped up saying:

"The ATI Control Panel failed to initialize because no ATI driver is installed, or ATI driver is not working properly. The ATI Control Panel will now exit."

Any suggestions would be appreciated to how & where do I fix this.

Missing driver(s)

If you go to this site;
http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/Pages/index.aspx
Enter your pc's details, you should be able to download the correct drivers.
I assume you wiped the Windows system off the the hard drive, then you will have lost all of the maker's specific drivers.
If it is a 'Gateway' brand, then they will be available from their site, but the Graphics driver is from the maker of the graphic chip (i.e. AMD).
The same may also apply to the motherboard drivers,(Chipset), and sound drivers.
I have used a program that analyses the PC, then finds the drivers.
See;
http://download.cnet.com/DriverIdentifier/3000-2094_4-75328374.html
This assumes your internet connection works, even if with a cable to the modem.
If not, then you will have to download the drivers on a different PC, and copy them across.
When the PC is working, it's worth making a backup of the drivers. onto a CD or memory stick.
http://www.boozet.org/dd.htm

Thank you for your help & understanding

Thank you for your help & understanding. I am working on your suggestions. I'll post later what worked and didn't work.

Going to AMD's website worked!

Going to AMD's website "http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/Pages/index.aspx"
worked! I followed the 3 videos 1st, then had their website do the Auto detect feature. I had to uninstall the software and the old drivers 1st, restart computer, then install new software and new driver. Now the display adapter does NOT have the "!" in yellow.

Now I need help trying to figure out WHY the mouse and keyboard freezes up. I've tried using 3 different mouses and 3 keyboards and still no response. Any one have any ideas what is causing this?

Are they usb or ps2 connections? If usb, try using different slots for the same mouse and keyboard set, if psu check whether there is any visible damage to the sockets themselves.

When you say mouse and keyboard freeze, does that mean they work sometimes then, freeze then are fine again?
If you replaced the hard-drive, or wiped all the data from the original one, then you will need to get the motherboard/'chipset' drivers from Gateway. Head for the 'Support' ,'Drivers and downloads' section of; uk.gateway.com
I would do that as a priority, the PC needs these drivers to work properly, and could well be your keyboard and mouse 'issue'.
If the PC has a PS/2 keyboard and mouse socket, (green and purple, about 10mm round sockets), my experience is they should work. If you have tried to use USB keyboards and mice, you may have to change the settings in the BIOS. (Legacy USB support).
The program 'Driveridentifier' or 'Drivereasy' should give you a list of which drivers are missing, and give you a choice to download them.
The free version of Drivereasy can be very slow to download files (to encourage you to buy the fast one) but it does work. 'Driveridentifier' worked well the last time I used it.

Keyboard & mouse issue

@Teranius - I've use both kinds and they all have frozen on me, sometimes for a few seconds but other times 30 minutes. I just know tried to check things in the control panel for settings, etc on the keyboard and mouse and I am not getting any responses going from tab to tab or changing settings, or closing each window. There's something strange going on and it's getting on my nerves. My M-in-law has told me in the past that that her keyboard has frozen lots of times which was attached to this GT5222E hard drive before I took it from her home to mine home to reinstall her Windows OS, but hadn't had the time to research it until now.

If those keyboards and mice work on a different computer, which I assume they do, it would point to the motherboard being faulty.

Seeing as you've already reloaded the OS what I'd recommend is to download and install the chipset drivers for the motherboard. If that doesn't fix it, the simplest solution would be to replace the motherboard, as long as you can find one that is compatible with the other parts you have.

Back