Video loss / power? Unknown issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChrisIVX

Hi folks it's that time again and apparently I've broken something else. If someone could spare the time to give me some help with this I'd really appreciate it!

I've noticed two problems, both of which involve the PC "turning off" but actually it's more like video cuts out (screen loses signal), followed by audio. Caps lock and Num lock still work, plus the fans and lights stay on. On the other hand sometimes everything just switches off.

The first time I had this happening was in Company of Heroes (CoH) running the game at max resolution (1680 x 1050) and max settings. I managed to fix this, in a crude and temporary way, by installing RivaTuner and defining a profile that makes sure the GPU fan speeds up when hot.

The current problem is easily caused by running a slightly older, probably less demanding game - Tomb Raider: Legend (TRL). Since not many people might know the ins and outs of that game here, I'll try and be vague, but I also posted about it here if you want specifics.

The game crashes at specific points (loading the next level, reloading the level if you've died, and also resuming the game between missions). This is true when certain combinations of Shader Model 3 graphics, reflections, Anti-Aliasing and possibly VSync.

However, when using a resolution other than 1680 x 1050 (tried 1280 x 800 - same aspect ratio as monitor, and 1024 x 768 - the default), the first level cannot even be loaded and the PC turns off if I try. This isn't true for running the game on default settings (1024 x 768; SM3, AA, reflections, Vsync all off)

The difference between the games is that, I'm guessing, the first was due to it overheating and the second is some sort of driver (?) problem. I only mentioned CoH because the symptoms were the same.

System Spec is (modestly):

CPU: E8500 3.16 GHz
Video: Asus GTX 280 1GB DDR3
Memory: 4GB (2x2GB) OCZ DDR2 1066 (running at 800)
Motherboard: Asus P5N-T Deluxe (nForce 780i chipset)
HDD: WD Velociraptor 10,000 rpm, SATA (for all installations, including Windows)
2ndary HDD: 500GB IDE
PSU: 750W Corsair , seen here

I very recently built it myself and am naturally a bit upset that it has problems already. I'm worried that the problem might have something to do with the news about NVidia chips being bad.

What I've tried:
  • Updated Video Drivers (from recent to latest)
  • Updated nForce Drivers (from recent to latest, 15.17 x64 - is this right for a 780i?)
  • Clean reinstalled TRL
  • Updated DirectX
  • Defined Virtual Memory primary or both HDDs
  • Set Memory Voltage, Speed and Timings to specified values in BIOS (2.1V, 1066, 5 5 5 18)
  • Enabled Speedfan to monitor temperature in background (saw nothing significant at point of crash)

Not sure about:
In C:/NVidia there is "nForce" as well as well as "nForceWinVista64", and it contains a folder called "6.01" which might be a wrong driver I installed and think I removed. Thoughts?

Anyways as said I would really appreciate any help from anyone who might know what's going wrong.

Chris

my suggestion would be to uninstall all drivers for the mobo, video, and monitor. then start over reinstalling all drivers that came with the cd with mobo, cd that came with the video card, and cd that came with the monitor. the only reason for reinstall the monitor is to get things in the right order. once this is done, defrag, then upgrade the video drivers to the newest drivers supplied by the manufacture of the video card. also it would be nice if u supplied the video card make and model.

Hi,
1 - I've tried the above. Before I updated the NVidia drivers I tried the game and it still crashed. Also, not sure how important this is, but when I did try updating NVidia drivers, the screen went black with a blinking dash in the top right. Nothing else happened for at least a few minutes and I had to manually restart. I didn't see at what stage it was at when that happened (had my eyes on the TV) but the PC didn't show signs of shutting down etc, and don't know if the installation happened properly, so am currently uninstalling NVidia drivers and trying again. Is this a problem?

2 - I never installed the video drivers from the CD when I first built the PC. I just downloaded them. Would this normally cause problems? Since the game still crashed after they were installed I'm guessing they weren't important this time. I'll try it again with updated drivers if it works this time.

Chris, I generally just install downloaded drivers (the latest) and have never had problems,but I have always had them downloaded from an earlier time so they were ready to install wgen I reinstalled Windows.

<Edit>
if u can get upgraded forceware drivers it would be a good time install them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back