View computer on networks

bigwat

While on the matter the computers after been formatted and then added to the network,

its on the network and can print and all but some of them while trying to access the server i cant i normally go to My network places > entire network > Ms windows network >
then i would see the server and the name of the other computer on network....

i need this to install some programs(shared) from the server so please help me...and yes i am in admin...

Perhaps you could create another complete description of what you have, and where it is, with whatever operating system you use, A little more detail might help us both.

While on the matter the computers after been formatted and then added to the network,

its on the network and can print and all but some of them while trying to access the server i cant i normally go to My network places > entire network > Ms windows network >
then i would see the server and the name of the other computer on network....

i need this to install some programs(shared) from the server so please help me...and yes i am in admin...

Please be more descriptive on your problem.

Make sure file and printer sharing is enabled on the pc hosting the shared program (this will open necessary firewall ports). Try placing the client pc on the same workgroup with the pc hosting the shared program. This may also be helpful. You can also try using the IP address of the server to access the shared files.

OK the computers are joined to a domain... i used to be able to go to My network places > entire network > Ms windows network > ...to see the list of computers on the network and access the shared files on the server... but now inside the domain name and all is just blank.. no servers or clients...
i need this to install some programs(shared) from the server...
The OS of the server is..MS WINDOWS SERVER 2003 R2... On the clients its win XP...

Is the problem happening to all of the pcs or just a single pc? Can you access the share using ip address of the server? Can you ping the domain (e.g. yourdomain.com) or the ip address of server from this pc? Is the server a DNS server also? Have you tried restarting DNS service or restarting the server?

its happening to all the pc, but the only way to access the server from the clients is to type in the server address eg..\\server name>enter, i'm not sure about pinging it tho nor if the server is DNS server or the ''Can you access the share using ip address of the server''......

please verify on the failing system
service: computer browser is running

print/file sharing is enable
and the firewall allows the exception for sharing

start->run-> CMD (from an admin login)
and then
ipconfig
shows you the ipaddress for the following
followed by NBTSTAT -A ipaddress

its happening to all the pc, but the only way to access the server from the clients is to type in the server address eg..\\server name>enter, i'm not sure about pinging it tho nor if the server is DNS server or the ''Can you access the share using ip address of the server''......

I was reffering to \\192.168.1.123 when accessing using ip. Is the server a DC? What changes have been made before the problem occurred? Windows update, software installation or GPO changes etc?

oh, well it starts with \\DC so maybe it's a DC, and i recently recovered them using Symantec....
so i added them back to the network (domain name...e.t.c) and so on...

oh, well it starts with \\DC so maybe it's a DC, and i recently recovered them using Symantec....
so i added them back to the network (domain name...e.t.c) and so on...

Are you really the admin?
If you cant give us feedback on our questions there is not much we can do.

Are you really the admin?
If you cant give us feedback on our questions there is not much we can do.
and this comment is going to help whom?
My mother taught me:
"If you can't say any thing nice, then don't say anything at all"​
Sometimes we get in 'over our heads' by management edict. That means we have to solve problems we may never have seen and or never have experienced.

PLEASE allow others to learn as much as you have and not chase them away with nasty personal comments. The standard for comments is to
  • criticize ideas and comments with facts
  • to never belittle the person asking or seeking help.

and this comment is going to help whom?
My mother taught me:
"If you can't say any thing nice, then don't say anything at all"​
Sometimes we get in 'over our heads' by management edict. That means we have to solve problems we may never have seen and or never have experienced.

PLEASE allow others to learn as much as you have and not chase them away with nasty personal comments. The standard for comments is to
  • criticize ideas and comments with facts
  • to never belittle the person asking or seeking help.

What? I'm asking him if he is the admin because admins can restart the server. I didn't mean to offend him or you (lol). I'm guessing you are used to being spoon fed. Others can't help you if you don't help yourself.

I was just referring to my earlier questions (waiting for feedback).
Can you ping the domain (e.g. yourdomain.com) or the ip address of server from this pc?
Have you tried restarting DNS service or restarting the server?
What changes have been made before the problem occurred? Windows update, software installation or GPO changes etc?
Well, he should at least try to find a way to answer some of the questions or ask us questions. Clearly he did not setup the domain so he can also ask help to those who did the setup.

Here's my summary of the situation. All client computers (part of a domain) doesn't show list of computers/servers in the network (it used to show it), but he can access it with \\<hostname>.

@bigwat
I hope this helps.

well yes that is the situation, and thanks jobeard, I'm new to and still learning most of this...
what i found out is that the computer names (clients) couldn't change when i tried to add it to the domain/re added so that might be apart the problem.

What i got to understand is that the recent ones of whose name i couldn't change were not visible on the server...
The reason i believe why this might have been is becuase at the time of naming the computers the other names might have been stored in the server...

It kept saying that there was a duplicate name on network... so i tried to rename some of them and only some of them accepted it and it was visible on the server so i don't really know in focus whats going on...

It kept saying that there was a duplicate name on network.
and that's a user problem - - you have lost track of the existing names.

In large networks, the computer name is frequently set to the LOCATION (eg bldg+room+cube)
rather than a neat, user selected name like CP3O, XR71, Yorktown, . . .

kind of hard to create duplicates that way :)

btw: client system names in a domain environment have nothing to do with
the user-id that logs on using that system :)

what i found out is that the computer names (clients) couldn't change when i tried to add it to the domain/re added so that might be apart the problem.
Why do you mean? You cant rename computer name?
It kept saying that there was a duplicate name on network... so i tried to rename some of them and only some of them accepted it and it was visible on the server so i don't really know in focus whats going on...
Duplicate might be caused by restoring the same backup (same settings, computer name) to multiple client pcs. They need to be reconfigured.

well yes i used one of the recovery Cds from the Symantec recovery system to boot all of them so maybe that's why. It wont let me rename them, so i don't know.

Back