Virtual desktop wont load

lpmjames

im tryin to you virtual pc and it wont load any of the linux os.. even run if i try to run it from the cd.. end result.. it freezes up on my example: ubuntu 7.04.. loading from cd.. freezes before setup is complete..U 10.04 .. run from iso .. freezes when i set the username .. (soon as i try to type something ...freeze).. crazy right.. ive tried others too.. like ubuntustudio.. maverick....to no avail.. i dont want to run another windows os as a virtual desktop.. thats dumb.. please help..btw.. i have windows7... also ubuntustudio installed within... is there a way to load ustudio from the virtual pc? .. if so that would be awesome to know

It doesnt really help with your problems with VirtualPC, but I've used Oracle Virtualbox for a couple of years now to great effect.

Are you trying to install x64 or x86 versions?

x86.. but i figured it out.. Vpc doesnt allow anything but windows os.. from what i have gathered through exstensive research.. lol.. if there is a workaround letme know.. but i will try oracle.. trying vmware now..

yo leeky.. i dont get what the whole virtualbox is about?
is it a virtual desktop and if so what is with the whole connection setup.. blahblah.. i just want a simple virtual desktop to use linux within windows..

Virtualbox is the software which manages your guest OS's.

You install it in your host OS (W7 in your case) and then use it to create virtual OS's in the same way Virtual PC works. The difference (besides obvious things like layout etc) is that Virtualbox allows you to run any OS your host is capable of running (although you need a vxT capable CPU and mobo support in order to run 64bit guests).

You basically set up a new virtualbox OS from within the main application window, and then use it to install whatever OS you like. Its a really simple proceedure that looks slightly complicated the first time you do it.

Just open it up, then click "New" and follow the on screen guides.The ideal of telling it your planned OS is to direct the guest OS more towards a particular OS type - Its also used to aid in memory and disk space recommendations.

I'd screenshot some pictures but I've turned the PC off for the night, and I'm using my laptop now.

I love it because its available for Linux too. So I have it installed on both OS's on my dual boot PC, and can access and use any of my virtual OS's in either Windows or Linux - Very handy for some of the rather special diagnostic software I run thats Windows XP only. :D

I'll check by this thread in the morning - If you've requested some pics I'll sort them for you. :)

No worries.

You should be fine with VB (virtualbox) once you've used it a couple of times. If you need any tips just let me know and I'll happily help you out.

The one main problem people get into with VB (and all virtual setups) is not being able to run 64 bit software as a guest unless your CPU/motherboard supports VT-x. I found out the hard way trying to install Windows Server 2008 R2. lol.

Not bad...

But you can run most live sessions, with the ability to save/modify data on a USB stick.

My favourite software for that is USB Live creator: http://www.linuxliveusb.com/

I've been using it for all my installs for quite some time now.

thanks again bud.. i think ima keep this one instead of the other.. only problem i have with the virtual box is that its connected online and staying that way even after i try an eject the usb and end the progams.. i try to kill the process and it comes back instantly.. whats with that..

Its pretty cool, I've been using it for a while now.

I actually came across it while looking for a solution to install Ubuntu on old oldest HP laptop, which has a faulty DVD drive - It physically won't read discs anymore, but would boot from USB sticks. So having it on a memory stick meant I could install Ubuntu as normal.

Its also much faster than a CD/DVD, which is handy with a live version I use that has persistance memory so I can customise it and use it to troubleshoot other linux boxes. :)

Back