Virus and Malware forum

Bobbye

It is very sad to see what is passing as 'cleaning' in the Virus and Malware forum. The site owner has been made aware of this for several months but has chosen not to put any kind of restrictions or rules in the forum.

Members get sent to some other site to run a program. No directions are given. The report or log isn't reviewed- in fact, it is usually not even given or requested. One obvious problem may get resolved, but malware remains.

The fact the the member who is picking up the threads has a high post count would tend to give the impression to the member with the problem that the program referral is all that was needed. Nothing could be further from the truth.

I did notice once when I posted there that some of the words I had typed came up underlined and had a pop-up link on them when you moused over, is this the problem you are talking about?

yandley, what you are referring to is the following:

A helper will usually embed a link to download a program in a specific word to make a download available to the member without actually having o access a site. For instance, if I would like you to download and run a program called TFC (Temporary File Cleaner) instead of telling you to go to a site to download it and make you read the directions on how to run it, I would embed the download link in a word, make it bold and in blue color, like this:

Download TFC to your desktop

So when you put the cursor on the blue TFC, you will see the hand with a finger pointing because it is an active link- the download itself pops up for you to click on and it is customary to follow that download that with the directions to run the program.

Now member are being sent to the site itself, without any directions for running the program or requesting the log after, so it can be checked.

Back