Vista keeps crashing, reads: Stop: 0x1000008e

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi anyone that can help,

I know zip about computers. It's taken me ages to work out how to get the info below. My new Hewlett Packard laptop running Vista has begun crashing, goes to blue screen and says the below stuff. This mainly happens when I'm in Yahoo Mail.

Please let me knwo if I can fix it. I went to the Windows Vista downloads but it said none were available for me.

Thank you very much,
Angela

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: BlueScreen
OS Version: 6.0.6000.2.0.0.256.6
Locale ID: 5129

Additional information about the problem:
BCCode:1000008e
BCP1: C0000005
BCP2: 8045AE1C
BCP3: 967B83AC
BCP4: 00000000
OS Version: 6_0_6000
Service Pack: 0_0
Product: 256_1

The screen blue screen reads:
Technical Information
Stop: 0x1000008e
( 0xC0000005, 0x8045AE1C, 0x967B83AC, 0x00000000 )
SSIDRV.SYS – Address 8045AE1C base at 8044F000, Date Stamp 45b98a10

Well in XP this is generally what 0x08E error meant:

0x0000008E: KERNEL_MODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED
A kernel mode program generated an exception which the error handler didn’t catch. These are nearly always hardware compatibility issues (which sometimes means a driver issue or a need for a BIOS upgrade).

Since you mostly have this during Yahoo Mail usage I wonder if there is a driver conflict between Yahoo and Vista.

I suggest going over to Microsoft's website and check out their Blue Screen codes for Vista.

Edit Update: I noticed at the bottom of your post SSIDRV.SYS and after googling it I came to find out that this is a driver for Webroot's Spysweeper. Now there isn't enough information for me to say definitely but there could be a driver conflict between Yahoo mail and Webroot. Supposedly the very latest Spysweeper build is compatible with Vista. Do you know if Webroot is the latest?

What would help is if you could attach your minidump(s). Go to My Computer and find Control Panel; click it on and find the C Drive. Click it on and find the Windows Folder and click that on. Now search for the Minidump Folder. Within that folder are the files we need. Attach these files (not the folder) like you would a Word Document to an email to your next response.

Thanks Route44

Thank you Route44, I only had the trial version of Webroot's Spysweeper so I uninstalled it and have had no crashes in the last 2 days. Thanks very much for that, much appreciated.

Very best,
Angie

You are very welcome and I really appreciate the reply. Those of us who try to help others often don't hear back if an issue has or has not been resolved.

I think it would be good for the consumer if you contacted Webroot's tech support and told them of the issues you had with their trial under Vista and how once you uninstalled no more crashes are occuring. I would especially let them know that the issue occured most often when engaging Yahoo mail. Like I conjectured, it might be a conflict between Webroot and Yahoo and this kind of information is most helpful for all.

By the way, a really good anti-spyware/malware program is Superantispyware

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back