Vista wakes up (randomly?) when in standby.. why?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pyromaster114

Okay, so my Toshiba M700 tablet PC is waking up out of standby when it shouldn't.
I'll have it in the case, and It'll just turn on, for no apparent reason, no one even touched the case or came near it, but it'll just turn on.
I set it on the desk to check this... sure enough after about 10 hours in standby, it turns on, and doesn't turn off or go into hibernation or anything... just sits there... eating away the battery...

So I went and checked WHY it woke up recently...

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.0.6001]
Copyright (c) 2006 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

Powercfg -lastwake
Wake History Count - 1
Wake History [0]
Wake Source Count - 1
Wake Source [0]
Type: Fixed Feature
Timer Expired (RTC)

So evidently, something has set a timer with the RTC that wakes the computer up.
Any idea how I can figure out what programs have these things set so that I can disable them?
It's getting very irritating to find my tablet out of power when it's been (supposedly) in standby in the case, but instead it's burning hot to the touch because it's been running for the past 4 hours.

I brushed this off as a simple "meh, it's windows it does weird ****" the first 5 times... but now it's like the 30th time... and I believe this thing has got to stop doing this.

This would be a good time to look for corresponding Information Events in the Event Viewer. There are three types of Events in the System and Apps logs:
1. Information (white circle w/blue i): this is just basic documentation of the normal working of the System or Apps. (others are Warnings and Errors)

NOTE the time if you can when the machine spontaneously came up. Then do this:

Start> Run> type in eventvwr
event_viewer_left.jpg

Right-click on the Views node and select Create View and this opens a properties sheet (filter) for configuring your view . Choose Simple tab> Information
image007a1142935185421.JPG

This will filter the Events so that only Information Events are displayed
Open the Event Properties for the Information Event that corresponds to the 'wake-up' time:
image013a1142935327546.JPG

Level should only show 'Information'. This should tell you what is being done at that time.- for instance if you have scheduled updating, you might have allowed the system to 'wake up' to do the updating.

I had looked in the event viewer before so that I could determine what woke it up before... and didn't find anything. I rechecked with a filter... no such luck:

eventfilter.jpg

The thing did say that the computer was assigned a DHCP address right before the log entry that said the timer expired.... although I believe that the wifi adapter is set so that it can't wake the computer... so I doubt that it has anything to do with it.

A lot going on between 3:00 and 3:02 am.

SDWinSec is a process for Spybot-S&D Security Center integration. Finding out what is does wasn't easy, but one site said this: SDWinSec.exe task is part of a virusscanner or firewall.

Searching for the S&D Security Center itself:
Spybot-S&D can now easily integrate into the Vista Security Center; which will then monitor if Spybot-S&D is up-to-date and whether the permanent protection (TeaTimer) is running or not.
This update will only show on Vista systems, since previous Windows versions do not offer anti malware integration into WSC.You can close it but this will harm the security of your system.
And the Default location is: %ProgramFiles%\Spybot - Search & Destroy\SDWinSec.exe

This shows at 3:02:11 am. It seems that SDWinSec is required to integrate Spybot-S&D into the Windows Security Centre. I see DCOM at exactly the same time. (DCOM) is a proprietary Microsoft technology for communication among software components distributed across networked computers. DCOM.

The Event 10029, Source DCOM means that DCOM started the service %1 with arguments %2 in order to run the following server: %3

One Spybot S&D/Vista user has this comment about SDWinSec:
This is still ocurring even in the .15 version on vista x64 absolutely polluting the log every 60 sec...is there anyway to stop this from happening other than removing S&D?

Open Spybot and also Scheduled Tasks. Disable anything in either set for this approximate time whether it's updating or scanning.

Let me know if the system will remain in Hibernate- or you could try using Stand By instead.

So you think it may be Spybot Search and Destroy's update / scan settings?

Also, my anti-virus program is set to scan at 3:00 am I believe... so maybe that's what did it? Although it says "Don't wake up the computer." in the settings of it so I don't think it would do it...

The only way you're going to find out for sure is to disable any scans or updates unless you do them manually. Spybot IS doing something- whether that's what is bringing the system out of hibernation means you need to disable auto-features and see.

And since AV should update before scan, it's possible it's not reading the 'don't wake up'.

Just a guess...

Open Device Manager. Look for your wired and/or wireless Network Adaptersand rt click-> Properties. Click Power Managment tab. Uncheck the box that "Allows this device to bring the computer out of standy"

Then see if the behavior changes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back