Visual C++ Runtimes Won't Install? - Windows 7 x64

Status
Not open for further replies.

EXCellR8

Lately I've been having some problems with applications crashing and it seems the MSVCR80.dll is to blame. I've tried installing the correct C++ runtimes but they're not working for some reason. The packages I'm trying to install are the:

Visual C++ 2005 Redistributable SP1 Runtime Libraries

I've tried both x86 and x64 versions and neither one seems to finish. Both packages get to the "gathering required information" stage and then the windows disappears. Nothing else happens. I restarted the computer twice and the same thing happens. Any ideas on why they aren't working, or another way of reinstalling the culprit file?

OS is Windows 7 Ultimate (64-bit)

Unfortunately no... but I was able to install the latest 2008 Redistributable packages. I'm not sure if that had any effect on the MSVCR80.dll error but I haven't crashed since. Right now I'm facing a bigger issue with my Windows XP install so I've been working on that. February has just not been my month for stable computing lol.

Excuse the bump, but I'm still having the problem trying to install vcredist_x86_sp1_atl_4053.exe on this computer... it just doesn't work! Same thing happens, the installer gets to Gathering Required Information (about 3/4 the way done) and then just exits. WTH. As far as i know there is no 64-bit equivalent to this package I need to install so I'm stuck. Will it not install because I'm not using Vista and SP1?

btw i was able to sort out that XP mess... :)

This might help figure out what's going on.. See How to enable Windows Installer logging. Even tho the KB is about XP, I just checked and i still see the group policy defined for Windows 7 so i'm assuming it'll work and you can enable it for Win 7 as well.

/* edit */
Also....
> Have you been able to install Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 SP1 Redistributable Package (x64? (it lists Win 7 as supported)
> Skimming various KBs there may also be some dependencies on NET Framework so i'd also try running Windows Update and making sure all the various NET Framework version updates have been applied
> The various KBs i found also seem to distinguish between x86 and x64 download versions, so you may be right that the x86 version simply won't install on your machine

I was able to install a few different x64 packages around the same time I was trying to install the x86 ones so perhaps a .NET Framework update would resolve the issue. Now it's just a matter of finding which package to download, I guess I should just do it through Windows Update. Do you know which versions are shipped with Windows 7? I don't remember ever installing any of them...

Thanks for looking into this... I appreciate the help.

I was able to install a few different x64 packages around the same time I was trying to install the x86 ones so perhaps a .NET Framework update would resolve the issue. Now it's just a matter of finding which package to download, I guess I should just do it through Windows Update. Do you know which versions are shipped with Windows 7? I don't remember ever installing any of them...

Thanks for looking into this... I appreciate the help.

Oh! I just booted my dual boot into Win 7 Professional (x86) to check NET Framework (i usually still prefer working in XP :) ). And you're right. I don't see any NetFramework versions installed under Win 7! I'll go back and check again what i read about Net Framework issues (as well as now i'm curious myself about how NET Framework is packaged into Win 7!)

It's still probably a good idea to run Windows Update just to double check you have all the updates.

It might also help if you can show me exactly which Microsoft Visual C++ packages you have installed so far (so i can go googling again to see if i can find anything more). You can see and easily report detail on your installed programs by installing MyUninstaller
> Note you may see stuff listed by MyUninstaller you don't normally see (i.e. Windows hides it) otherwise
> You can select the line items to report, click File->Save Selected then copy/paste or attach the text

As example, i apparently only have two Visual C++ 2005 packages installed on my Win 7 x86 (and none of C++ 2008). Details below
Code:
==================================================
Entry Name          : Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 ATL Update kb973923 - x86 8.0.50727.4053
Product Name        : 
Version             : 8.0.50727.4053
Company             : Microsoft Corporation
Description         : 
Obsolete            : No
Uninstall           : Yes
Installation Folder : 
Install Source      : z:\b9432fe9df084a4883ac\
Web Site            : 
Installation Date   : 1/7/2010 12:59:11 PM
Uninstall String    : MsiExec.exe /X{770657D0-A123-3C07-8E44-1C83EC895118}
Installation Change String: MsiExec.exe /X{770657D0-A123-3C07-8E44-1C83EC895118}
Quiet Uninstall     : No
Registry Key        : {770657D0-A123-3C07-8E44-1C83EC895118}
Installer           : Windows Installer
Root Key            : HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
System Component    : No

Entry Name          : Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Redistributable
Product Name        : 
Version             : 8.0.56336
Company             : Microsoft Corporation
Description         : 
Obsolete            : No
Uninstall           : Yes
Installation Folder : 
Install Source      : E:\Program Files\InstallShield Installation Information\{F29B21BD-CAA6-445F-8EF7-A7E2B9D8B14E}\Redist\
Web Site            : 
Installation Date   : 12/31/2009 5:24:35 PM
Uninstall String    : MsiExec.exe /X{7299052b-02a4-4627-81f2-1818da5d550d}
Installation Change String: MsiExec.exe /X{7299052b-02a4-4627-81f2-1818da5d550d}
Quiet Uninstall     : No
Registry Key        : {7299052b-02a4-4627-81f2-1818da5d550d}
Installer           : Windows Installer
Root Key            : HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
System Component    : No

/* edit */
Some additional info just found!! Can you recreate the crash easily? As you might also want to try to see if it occurs after a clean boot start. See this link. Perhaps a different scenario but someone else (just last month!) seems to localize their MSVCR80.dll crash problem to a startup!

Excuse the double post but wanted to make sure you see the edit at end of my last post plus this add'l info

After finding link in last post about mvcr80.dll crash due to a Norton startup, your mvcr80.dll crash problem sounded hauntingly familiar wrt Symantec products

1) Do you have any Symantec products installed? Google symantec MSVCR80.dll "windows 7" (with the quotes) and there's several hits

2) If Symantec's not at fault, when you look at your other startups, also review the different apps (in the crash logs) actually running at time of the crash as those apps might be clues... as it's not necessarily due to the mvcr80.dll

/* edit */
Clarified point 2): as i mean to check the apps indicated by each crash log

just curious if you ever got anywhere with this problem? (ever have the chance to try the clean boot or trace the problem back to any startups?)

Eh not really, I've just been keeping the USB drive in the port before I boot the computer up and that works fine lol. I would like to point out (if I haven't already) that I don't get the error with any other USB devices, just flash drives. My WD passport external hard drive works, as does my Samsung dual layer burner and my pen tablet and other devices are fine if i reattach them in Windows 7.

And no, Symantec products are not allowed anywhere near my computer! :)

so perhaps a .NET Framework update would resolve the issue.
nope! I just fought an application issue re .NET and the C++ libraries -- they are entirely independent and can be installed independently.

If .NET is fouled, search for the .NET uninstaller to wipe it ALL out (don't rely upon Install/Remove).
Then download each component (1.0, 1.1, the SP*, 2.0 and its SP, 3.5 and its SP)
and yes it is a royal pain.

I used the MS Dependency Walker to discover my application (Quickbooks 2009 R11) needed the mvcr80.dll and downloaded the C++ 2005 and the 2008 packages to solve the issue.

Will keep that in mind, thanks. Right now my computer is in pieces because I'm moving everything over in to a full tower case (finally), so I will give that a try in the next few days after i get everything back together. I'm not really making any hardware changes but I do plan to clone my Windows 7 install over to a new hard drive. We'll see what happens I guess...

Re: NetFramework and Win 7

From the "whatever it's worth department": Seems like the opportunity just to pass along info i've learned since first looking into NetFramework as it specifically applies to Windows 7
  • Win 7 installations come packaged with NetFramework v3.5 as a core component
  • NetF v1.x and NetF v2.x don't work on Win 7 (nor any application which still depends on those earlier versions)
  • Re: The NetFrmwrk info i myself mentioned earlier in this thread, I was wrong. The KBs and docs i skimmed through were about v1.x and 2.x so only applied to XP and Vista (I missed seeing the "Applies To" section in those docs :eek: )
  • As EXCellR8 first noticed for Win7: NetFramework doesn't appear under Programs and Features so you can't see it to uninstall it. So just as MS didn't let you uninstall IE6 from XP, it appears you also can't uninstall NetF v3.5 from Win 7

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back