Vizio reveals aggressively priced consumer 4K TVs, drops all 3D support

Justin Kahn

Vizio has announced some new additions coming to its TV lineup at CES 2014 in the form of the new 4K P Series and the new, high end Reference Series.

The consumer-grade P Series (seen to the right) will be priced aggressively and will come with some features usually only found in options that aren't. The line will be available in 50, 55, 60, 65 and 70-inch configurations and will feature a 64 LED zone backlight and advanced dimming features. This should generally mean we will get a nice vibrant picture quality, which based on reports from the show floor, appears to be the case. vizio tvs With the combination of the advanced backlight technology being very similar to what we see in some of the higher end TVs and Vizio's version of aggressive pricing, some are suggesting the P Series could be one of the best performing 4K options yet.

For comparison sake, Samsung and Sony's 55-inch 4K offerings are listed at around $3000 right now, and you can grab a 50-inch Seiki UHD TV for as low as $700 or so. This could mean wee see Vizio's aggressive pricing land the 50-inch model P Series somewhere in the ~$1500+ range.

The P Series supports 802.11ac Wi-Fi with dual band MIMO support, has five HDMI inputs, and will allow for 4K streaming from compatible apps like Netflix. It can also display games at up to 120 FPS and film at 24 and 48 frames per second.

The Reference Series is aimed at the high end market, likely not the kind of product you'll see in your traditional retail store, and are said to be some of the best panels Vizio has ever offered. They will be capable of 4K and will feature HDR (High Dynamic Range) technology. HDR allows for a much more realistic contrast range that more accurately reproduces the details from the source footage, according to Vizio. The company has not mentioned pricing on the Reference line as of yet.

One thing the company's new displays won't be coming with is 3D. The technology that seemingly latched itself on to pretty much every HDTV maker out there at some point or another, now looks like it's getting left in the dust by Vizio. None of its new models will come with 3D technology, a move the company says it made simply because people don't use it. As CES rolls on we will have to see if 3D support is something other manufacturers are leaving behind as well.

Permalink to story.

I agree, I first I do when I'm looking at TV's online is check the no 3D box on the search. Over priced and a feature I'll never use. I do think 4k will catch on over time just due to the fact that unlike 3d it doesn't hurt the eye and does look better. I just think it will probably be 10-15 year before we reach high market saturation.

Beginning of the end for the 3D nonsense. And although I think 4K will eventually become the norm, it has a long way to go. It has the same problem 3D tv's have - no media available.
Could not have said that better myself, im curios how well this will be priced based on the fact its a vizio. I normally dont like vizio TV's because they usually are pretty poor on quality, but I would like to see how well this one does.

I knew I didn't want 3D when it came out. Wearing glasses (not sure if I could tolerate contacts) are threatening my already failing eyes. If I wear eye gear, it will be out of necessity not desire.

On the 4K front, I will patiently wait for prices to drop. Patiently as in, I've not purchased anything 1080P yet. Although I have made up my mind to start looking at 1080P TV's.

My one, and only, 3D Blu-Ray is Man of Steel and that's because the Best Buy I went didn't have the 2D version in stock.

As for 4K, I will wait. I made a prediction that by the end of 2014 we will see many 4K TVs that below $3,000. Vizio is going in the right direction, but I will wait to see what Samsung has to offer.

I don't think it'll take 10~15 years. it's not like 3d where people have to get used to wearing the glasses. I think it'll only take less than 5 years. people on AVS forums are already saving up for their next tv and some have already start buying 4K. at $3000, it's not exactly out of reach for public anymore. I am a regular on AVS, and I can say with almost a certainty that the only reason why most have 3d tv, NOT because they want 3d as a main requirement, but mostly due to the TV's that have the best picture quality (higher end models) happens to have 3d integrated. if I had a choice, I could do without the 3d on my Samsung ES8500, which was last year's highest model. if it means it could save me couple hundred bucks, I really could do without it. 3d is more for show when I have friends over, but wife hates it cause it hurts her eyes. this move by Vizio is definitely a good one. they're always pushing the price vs performance boundary. I had a bit of a second thought after I bought my TV and then saw a bigger 70 inch one from Vizio at the Costco show floor. it was bigger, cheaper, and picture looked just as good.

Thank F someone is finally getting rid of that 3d crap,hopefully the rest will leave it as well.
I only went for the Samsung TV because of the picture quality,if there was a choice I would have taken it without 3D.
As soon as 4k becomes a better cost option I will look at getting one,although I will need to upgrade my gpu if I wanted to game at 60 fps,so it would probably be a long wait.

There is more and more content on P2P with 60fps and encoded in HVEC. I already have a few movies that use it, and I can tell that having those for movies is a big improvement, an eye-candy, something you want to watch over and over. With 3D the story is different, you just get a headache, and very quickly.

My wife and I actually really enjoy watching 3D movies on our TV. Personally sad to see it being phased out.

I saw a 4k at the electronics store last week. Yeah, they're gonna be popular...

I wonder if their 64-LED zone backlight will actually give a decent screen uniformity. Edge-lit is simply terrible, and even my supposedly back-lit high-end 60in LG screen is a piece of junk. It's my 4th 60incher, and I'm going to take it back soon if screen doesn't improve.

The problem with 3D is also the poor implementation. They first brought out glasses, but this was at 100Hz so 50Hz per eye. Then LG and others decided to bring out 'flicker-free' glasses, which actually reduce the vertical resolution by half - this is why it looks so blurry.

AFAIK Nvidia is the best-in-class with their 120Hz monitor + glasses.

Beginning of the end for the 3D nonsense. And although I think 4K will eventually become the norm, it has a long way to go. It has the same problem 3D tv's have - no media available.
Yeah, there is no media and because of this, no one would want to buy into it. Just look at ESPN 3D. It was shut down a few months after it came on air because of lack of viewers.

I knew I didn't want 3D when it came out. Wearing glasses (not sure if I could tolerate contacts) are threatening my already failing eyes. If I wear eye gear, it will be out of necessity not desire.

On the 4K front, I will patiently wait for prices to drop. Patiently as in, I've not purchased anything 1080P yet. Although I have made up my mind to start looking at 1080P TV's.
It's been about 14 months since I ditched my old 4:3 ratio CRT TV for 1080p which I was still happy with but that was only because of 'letter boxing' on my favorite sports channels. I certainly have no intention of hopping on the 4K bandwagon until there is a drastic decrease in pricing from the more reputable brands. I can wait.

Since 720p then 1080p and now it's 4k TV but in Japan, they already develop 8k. I stick with 1080p until my tv break and I will get what that time offer, prehap 16k by that time. When you sit in distance and cannot tell much difference when get closer. 4k are great for any tv greater than 60 inches because I seen 80" TV with 1080p do not look well. 3D technology not fit in yet but I heard the rumor they said will make glasses free 3D TV and seem like that business dumped cause not reach the successful point.

An update: Vizio announced that it's pricing will start at $999 MSRP for its 50" model to $2599 for its 70" model. Well, I guess I don't have to wait until the end of the year to get a quality sized 4K TV below $3,000.

Still using a Sony CRT myself :)
My friends all think I'm crazy. But I don't have a console or a blu-ray player so I don't see the point in HD.
Was interested in the 4k evolution but if it's years away from being affordable and I'd need about 4 Titans if I want to hook my PC up to it, then I may just have to get a "proper" HD telly instead.
Maybe.

I totally disagree on phasing out 3D. It adds a whole new dimension to movies. I have several 3D movies and a Vizio 3D capable HDTV. Some movies that were made with 3D in mind look absolutely fabulous in 3D! For example - The Hobbit looks awesome! I also wear prescription glasses as does my wife and two of my children as well and not one of us gets headaches or complains about the glasses. Our T.V. came with a pair of glasses and we bought 8 more pairs of 3D glasses for fifteen dollars on ebay. All of the glasses fit over my prescription glasses. 3D should remain an option for those of us who use it and love it. From the outset of 3D capable T.V's there have always been sets available without the 3D option so don't pay more for it if you don't want it ( Duh). Also, if you happen to play video games on your HDTV by means of a PC or console those games are mind blowing in 3D! More bang for your buck is always the better option. If you don't own and use 3D then you should not have a comment about it period as you have NO idea what you are talking about.

It is interesting that so many say "I won't", "I'll wait" without having seen any 4K TVs. I'll look and then decide. The up-scaling engine may make the image appreciably better. I recall when upgrading meant going to a 19” BW “portable set”. Bigger was better.

Back