Vladimir Putin says Russia must advance its AI research to compete with "monopolistic"...

midian182

Staff member
What just happened? If anything illustrates the importance of today's artificial intelligence industry, it's Vladimir Putin expressing concerns about the technology. The Russian president has warned that the West has a "dangerous" monopoly over AI and that Russia needs to increase its research and development in the area – a goal that won't be easy in a country so heavily sanctioned.

Speaking to an AI conference in Moscow, Putin called for the development of the country's own ChatGPT-style chatbots that could rival the "bias" Western models.

"I think you are well aware that some Western search engines, as well as some generative models, often work in a very selective, biased way," Putin said. He added that some of these technologies do not take into account Russian culture, or simply ignore and "cancel" it. Putin believes many modern systems are trained on Western data for Western markets.

"The monopolistic domination of such foreign creations in Russia is unacceptable, dangerous and inadmissible," Putin said.

Russia's government has spent years trying to develop its own tech industry and lessen the country's reliance on Western products and services. The invasion of Ukraine led to virtually all Western firms pulling out of Russia and suspending the sale of their products in the nation, further pushing it toward home-grown solutions.

AI chip exports to Russia and China are essentially banned by the US government

In September, Putin ordered his government to increase funding for developing supercomputers and AI research. "In the very near future, as one of the first steps, a presidential decree will be signed and a new version of the national strategy for the development of artificial intelligence will be approved," Putin told the conference.

Russia will need to change some laws, boost international cooperation, and ensure much more investment for the development of AI, said Putin, who praised Sberbank and Yandex for developing their own generative AI and large language models.

According to Stanford's Institute for Human-Centered Artificial Intelligence (via Business Insider), the United States has 16 significant machine learning systems. The United Kingdom has eight, while Russia has just one. Furthermore, only three out of the hundreds of authors behind these systems come from Russia.

Back in March, Putin and China leader Xi Jinping announced that they intended to make their respective countries world leaders in IT, cybersecurity, and artificial intelligence.

News that Russia is pouring investment into AI will likely worry those who fear the technology could destroy society, including director Ridley Scott, who compared it to a hydrogen bomb.

Permalink to story.

The army of trolls Russia possesses is suddenly obsolete in a match with AI, that much I can concur. Of course he needs to replace Western bias with Soviet bias. Chinese biased AI loading...

Last edited:
HAHAHAHA ..... this from a guy that is taking a beating from a 2nd world country on the battlefield and can't a serious weapon that actually lasts beyond it's first year. Oh yeah, and had to "fake" having a hyper sonic missile. Putin just doesn't understand that nobody takes him seriously and his lies are all he will be remembered for .....

So this is why russian army steal wahing machines in Ukraine? to use the chips for the new AI...

HAHAHAHA ..... this from a guy that is taking a beating from a 2nd world country on the battlefield and can't a serious weapon that actually lasts beyond it's first year. Oh yeah, and had to "fake" having a hyper sonic missile. Putin just doesn't understand that nobody takes him seriously and his lies are all he will be remembered for .....
Agreed. Putin simply does not realize that the glory days of the old USSR are over and his Russia will never reclaim those days. He's blind to the fact that he's fighting a losing battle, and should just give up or stop.

The man who does not use internet and cellphones speaks about AI.
But regarding their attempts, I hope they all fail as his people get
poorer each passing day for the evil they have done in...I was going to say 2022, then 2014, 2008, but f***,
they never stopped killing. This nation exists to create miserly and death.
Next time Russia fails, it will be a crime not to extract every last artillery round, rusty tank, and all rockets from this wretched country.

Last month he was playing the proverb of Sun Tzu to appear week to your enemies and this week showing face again. ( Rumors of him dying like clock work when he wants media attention away from him and Ukraine victory.) Who knew that even the best 4d chess players are vulnerable to ai.

Last month he was playing the proverb of Sun Tzu to appear week to your enemies and this week showing face again. ( Rumors of him dying like clock work when he wants media attention away from him and Ukraine victory.) Who knew that even the best 4d chess players are vulnerable to ai.
With the BS and verification that AI has shown itself to have and need, IMO, this is a "Hail Mary" move by Putin that has, at best, a rat's chance in hell, of doing what he thinks its capable of doing. Putin, IMO, is showing the world that he remains clueless with this "Hail Mary," and its just as much, if not more so, than his fantasy that he can use nuclear weapons as a cudgel without destroying his country and seriously f'in the rest of the planet.

2nd world country with first world country unlimited supply and mercs.

I'm not sure what Putin is talking about....I haven't seen any "AI" here in the West. Just a bunch of parroting search engines. I think he's just sad they aren't making money off this "AI" fad.

I'm not sure what Putin is talking about....I haven't seen any "AI" here in the West. Just a bunch of parroting search engines. I think he's just sad they aren't making money off this "AI" fad.
The term Ai is also so broad, from a tyrannical perspective, he would probably be interested in the data collection/ analytics of its citizens and hacking capabilities of a super computer.

The primary target audience for any Russian ChatGPT clone would be Western, not people living in the Russian Federation. The purpose would be to create more useful I.d.I.o.t.s in the West that would eventually influence foreign policy more favourable to the current regime, and have far more reach than any propaganda site like RT.

Now
ChatGPT 3.5

User
who is Vladimir Putin?

ChatGPT
Vladimir Putin is a Russian politician who has served as the President of Russia, Prime Minister, and currently as the President again. He has been a prominent figure in Russian politics since the late 1990s.

User
is he a good politician?

ChatGPT
Opinions on Vladimir Putin as a politician vary widely. Some admire his leadership and see him as a strong, assertive figure who has brought stability to Russia. Others criticize his approach to governance, citing concerns about democracy, human rights, and political freedoms. Assessing whether he is a "good" politician depends on individual perspectives and values.

Hence the second part can be problematic for Russian Citizens who only have State sponsored media controlled by Putin.

I'd give the issue in between Ukraine and Russia less then 3 months, before one party is going to give up.

More and more countries are going to less or even stop the delivery of funds, weapons and all that. So many people have died unneeded while peace talks could have bin accomplished within the first 24 hours of the whole escalation.

Russia has the right to defend itself - ever expanding nato and eu (that's another topic, the unlected approving Ukraine to enter the EU) puts the whole EU at risk too.)

The future of europe does'nt look too bright. Esp with the influx of uncontrollable immigration happening for the last 20 years. We're in for quite a ride soon. Brace yourself.

I'd give the issue in between Ukraine and Russia less then 3 months, before one party is going to give up.

More and more countries are going to less or even stop the delivery of funds, weapons and all that. So many people have died unneeded while peace talks could have bin accomplished within the first 24 hours of the whole escalation.

Russia has the right to defend itself - ever expanding nato and eu (that's another topic, the unlected approving Ukraine to enter the EU) puts the whole EU at risk too.)

The future of europe does'nt look too bright. Esp with the influx of uncontrollable immigration happening for the last 20 years. We're in for quite a ride soon. Brace yourself.

This entire post is delusional.

Russia isn't going to "give up" until Putin is removed. Ukraine is NEVER going to give up. Peace talks were attempted but Russia basically said "there will be no peace until we get what we want".

Europe will be fine. Immigration is not necessarily a bad thing, it has many benefits. Yes, it brings some issues, but they're not impossible to resolve.

Some issues he says...

In just dublin a women with kids... ah nevermind. "Some issues"

Perhaps your a part of the problem on what's going on lately.

Back