W3C releases an official HTML5 logo

Emil

Staff

The World Wide Web Consortium (W3C) has unveiled a new logo for HTML5. The logo links back to W3C, the place for authoritative information on HTML5, including specs and test cases.

The logo is meant to be taken and used by all members of the web developer and designer community. You can customize your own badge according to the technology you use, with eight classes to choose from: Device Access, Performance & Integration, Semantics, CSS3/Styling, Offline & Storage, Connectivity/Realtime, Multimedia, as well as Graphics, 3D & Effects. There are even official stickers (you'll need to send a self-addressed, stamped envelope) and $22.50 T-shirts with the new HTML5 logo.

W3C gives the following description as to why a logo is necessary: "It stands strong and true, resilient and universal as the markup you write. It shines as bright and as bold as the forward-thinking, dedicated web developers you are. It's the standard's standard, a pennant for progress. And it certainly doesn't use tables for layout. We present an HTML5 logo."

The logo was designed by boutique agency Ocupop, a firm that focuses on branding, identity, and web design. "The term HTML5 has taken on a life of its own; there has been significant confusion and debate both within the developer community and in the public at large as to what exactly HTML5 is when the term is used outside of simply referring to the spec itself… The standard needs a standard," Michael Nieling, Ocupop's logo designer, said in a statement. "That is, HTML5 needs a consistent, standardized visual vocabulary to serve as a framework for conversations, presentations, and explanations."

Permalink to story.

No offense to W3C, but that logo kind of sucks. When will official logos be more dynamic? I swear, I've seen 13 year-olds make logos in Flash that are better than this.

I like the logo with its russian constructivism influence, remember logos need to memorable and simple.

What I don't like is the fact that the page has the logo in png and not on a canvas or svg element.

Nima304 said:
No offense to W3C, but that logo kind of sucks. When will official logos be more dynamic? I swear, I've seen 13 year-olds make logos in Flash that are better than this.

That's cause they paid for this logo. Needs some fins to lower air resistance.

Why don't they work on getting WebM as the default video standard?

They should not have to pay for a logo anyway there are enough artists that would have contributed a logo.

It's what a logo should be. It shouldn't be a flashy masterpiece.. just a simple, attractive picture that gets the message across.

Before I critique the new logo, understand that I think it is really successful.

I was going to suggest the preserve the curve in the numeral 5 as that is a classic shape, and would have contrasted the linear and cubish nature of the rest of the design nicely. However, I think the designer is going for an intentional distortion, indicating the dimensional nature of the bottom of the logo. Maybe even a transitional "2d" to "3d" referencing the transition to a more dynamic web experience.

The more I look at it (and the more beer I drink) the more I like it.

If the "One web for all W3C" is part of the logo, it needs to be abandoned. It is abysmal compared to the simple "HTML" text and the red logo.

Back