Warner Bros. greenlights three 2023 movies for worldwide theatrical release

Shawn Knight

Staff member
Editor's take: Warner Bros. made no mention of HBO Max in announcing premiere dates for three movies due out in 2023, suggesting a return to its traditional theatrical release model. To get there, however, a number of things need to line up just right.

Warner Bros. Pictures’ controversial decision to release 2021 movies on HBO Max the same day as their theatrical debut didn’t sit well with many industry players. Fortunately for them, and theater owners alike, it seems as if the dual release plan is indeed a temporary one.

On Wednesday, the studio announced release dates for three upcoming theatrical titles.

Furiosa, a prequel to George Miller’s Mad Max: Fury Road, is scheduled to arrive on June 23, 2023. Coyote vs. Acme, a live-action / animated hybrid from director Dave Green will drop on July 21, 2023. It’ll feature “the age-old rivalry between the Roadrunner nemesis and his preferred mail order supplier.” The Color Purple musical will round out the year on December 20, 2023.

Industry executives, theater owners and movie buffs alike would no doubt like to see a return to the old way of releasing and watching films. Of course, that is all contingent upon the pandemic being in the rear-view mirror by mid-2023 and theaters being able to hang on until then.

If 2020 has taught us anything, however, it’s that forecasting events related to the pandemic is a coin toss at best.

Permalink to story.

Well, most definitely rolling the dice on this one but with the Vaccine now being delivered I'd say the odds are in their favor, but I hope management has a couple of back up plans in case it doesn't pan out the way they hope ...

For some reason I thought it was them who are ready to release Matrix 4 :)
Nvm.
Now since the man they all hate so much is out of the office, can we have great stories, characters no no politics in movies?
I skipped endless TV shows and movies for that reason in the last 3-4 years. It is unbearable how they are screaming in your face with their political messages. We have seen some early signs of the trouble
for Hollywood even before Chinese virus crippled the world. Dark Fate comes to mind as one example.
I just want normal movies people and the stories. And I will pay for nothing less than that.
Merry Christmas TechSpot.

The already indebted Western economies have been destroyed by the lockdowns, the politicians will not even attempt to go back to normal because they know everything will collapse, expect universal basic income next as things deteriorate, followed by hyper inflation and eventual collapse.

We can't even project a 2023 normal? No wonder depression and suicides are at 8-10X precovid times. But those deaths, third world famine, lack of cancer treatment deaths, and others don't count. Just the one virus is all that matters.

Back